How to Create a Password Reset Disk on Windows 8 Laptop

A password reset disk allows you to reset your Windows password if you ever forget it. All users that share a common Windows PC can have their own password reset disks, and the reset disk of one user cannot be used to reset Windows password for any other user account on that or any other PC.

Only one password reset disk can be created for per account. If a user creates a second reset disk for their account, the previous password reset disk automatically expires, and Windows no longer recognizes it when the user tries to use it to reset the password. This is integrated in the operating system for security purposes.

Here is how you can create a password reset disk on a Windows 8 computer:

■Log on to your Windows PC with any account and go to the desktop window.
    ■Connect a portable flash drive to your computer.
    ■From the desktop screen, right-click the Start button from the bottom-left corner.
    ■Click Control Panel from the context menu.

■On the next window, choose the Small icons view type from the View by drop-down list available at the top-right corner.
    ■Click User Accounts from the available links.

■From the User Account window, click the Create a password reset disk link located in the left pane.

■Once done, on the Welcome to the Forgotten Password Wizard interface, click Next.

■On the next window, click the I want to create a password key disk in the following drive drop-down list.
    ■From the displayed drives, select the connected USB flash drive, and hit Next to continue.

■On the Current User Account Password window, provide the current password in the available field, and click Next.

■Once the process is complete, click Next on the Creating Password Reset Disk interface.

■On the next window, hit Finish to finalize the process and to close the wizard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hectatus Laptop Tech Support 1
O Laptop Tech Support 0
yugeshav Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 0
Mike Andronico Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 7
M Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1