How to track your Android phone using your IMEI number

SltcDvM.png

Cellphone theft shows no sign of slowing down and even with fingerprint security, smartphones still get lost or stolen in huge numbers. If that happens, you not only lost a valuable device, you lose the ability to be contacted as well as all the data on the phone. If you would like to learn how you can track your Android phone using your IMEI number in case it happens to you, read on!

The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity Number) of your phone is its unique serial number. It is printed on the back of all mobile devices and can help trace ownership of a phone. It’s a good idea to keep a copy of the IMEI in a safe place. If yours is worn off, dial ‘#06#’ to show it. Alternatively, your Google Dashboard should also have a record of it.

There are apps such as SeekDroid, Where’s My Droid or Find My Phone that can track your phone. Alternatively, Google can do it for you.

Track an Android phone using the IMEI number
To track an Android phone it needs to have both mobile data and location services turned on. I tend to have them both enabled by default but it’s a good idea to check yours.

1. Navigate to Settings, Location and toggle it to the on position.
2. Swipe down on the Home screen and tap the cell provider icon to enable mobile data.
3. Click this link to the Google Dashboard.
4. Once logged in, the Dashboard will attempt to contact your phone using the IMEI and should show you a map and an address where the phone is either at, or was last pinged.

Once you have located your phone, the Google Dashboard gives you the option to call, lock or erase it. If your phone has been stolen, lock it down or wipe it remotely. If the phone is not currently contactable by Google it will perform the tasks as soon as it can.

If you have simply lost your phone somewhere in the building, use the Ring option to call the phone. Then you can trace it by ear.

Reactions: JaaBird
Status
Not open for further replies.
Status
Not open for further replies.