£1000 budget can anyone find better specs

philymcrae

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
im trying to find the best price for power laptop

used for minor gaming

Dell Studio 1749 (slightly Customised)
Intel® Core™ i5-540M (2.53Ghz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.06 GHz, 3MB cache)

4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics Card
Hard Drive 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
DVD +/- RW (Not Blu Ray)
Wireless 1520 Half Mini Card (802.11n)
Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Midnight Blue with Microsatin Finish
17.3" Full High Definition (1920x1080) LED with TL

15 months of mcaffee

total price delivered: £877

been searching around for a friend
any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant seem to find anything better but i may have missed something

philymcrae

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
1_budget? £1000 max

2_What is the size of the notebook? 17.4inch"

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?DTR with mobility basically so my friend can sit infront of tv but he definatly wants a laptop

5_How much battery life do you need?can get 3 and a half hours out of this dell with a 9 cell battery

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? probs fifa looking for the highest settings he may play sims 3 and a bit of command and conquer 3 i know can be easilly played at full settings with anti aliasing on

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? apart form the gaming, watching movies, surfing net

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? i dont think he's bothered although this dell i found has 500gb 7200rpm so getting fast boot ups

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.Dell.co.uk

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?3 years+

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?he said he'd prefer to have a blu ray drive to go with the 1080p screen but its not nessecary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. has been looking at sony acer and dell simply for all the features available

13_What country do you live in? uk/England

I already have the laptop mentioned in my 1st post but we were trying to find out if there was anything even better for the price although i'll admit i cant seem to find one i thought id ask on here just to make absolutly sure we have used a 10% off coupon to bring the price down a bit more

philymcrae

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Asking everyones opinion if there is anything better than the studio 17 elsewhere i have one of the 17's which i listed in the 1st post and i rekon its also a bit of a hot headed lappy but its a cracking spec for price.

Do you have an alternative machine? That could be recommended which would be on par or better id not only consider but probably buy ANY alternative if the spec beats/matches this dell for under £1000 regardless of the make

I know you guys on this forum know your stuff :love: and hoping there is either like i said an alternative to this dell or just to confirm what i think which is that it cant be beaten for price for power.

philymcrae

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
yeah the dell has a 1080p led backlit screen but while i was searching i came across the dx lite which took my fancy oki doki then i'll put this one forward for him to look at, your help has been much appreciated.

Its always about trying to keep ahead of the game but hard to do with technology constantly evolving, someone told me they picked up a 3 grand laptop :pt1cable: 2 years ago and its already falling behind now thanks to the better capable intel i series chips lol, mobility graphics cards getting better and of course games demands. no doubt i'll be back on here soon to let you know which one my friend goes for thankyou again bud