$1,000,000 of PlayStation Goods Stolen in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I'd sell them at normal prices so they don't look suspicious and I get more of a profit.
Then again, that's just me.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure they have recorded all the serial numbers on those trucks, shouldn't be to difficult to track their MAC addresses as soon as they connect to the internet. Trouble is, there are bigger problems for the police to solve. Once these things are out in the black market it won't be worth their time to recover them individually. My guess though is these units will be headed to South America were the markup is incredible, and easy to sell at a "Paraguay Fair"

G

Sony could possibly not accept any of those products for use online, given they would still allow use on the product for single user use and wifi i think. They could maintain a decent share of the value they have in retail.

Especially given the expense needed to gain benefits from online use, that is access and allowed elsewhere, given the extended time taken to use services online with increased expenses and gains from using services online. Given that playing online for use of most media, having online play is useful, but given that socially speakinng seems to rule more of the use of online, that buying the just good games and not having much of an online connection would be better off to do then, taking advantage of online features.

Given they shouldnt lose much value due to the lack of online uses. Given lie mst places due to these natures online use is needed to use such things, but in response value has been lost not say a monetary means given the prices have gone up due to lack of use, no reason to lose any value to say, but lack of user friendly uses. Rather its 5 dollars or 500dollars if someone cant really use for what it is for or could be used for without additional needs, its worthless.

Given though a stolen PS3 might find better value at a lesser price then one at regular retail price. Just going through more stolen avenues creates more additional needs then to say retail. And retail is going to charge and tax like none other. And when they arent then stolen avenues will, the biggest problem is lack of decent "rights" or understanding of product to consumers.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]I'm pretty sure they have recorded all the serial numbers on those trucks, shouldn't be to difficult to track their MAC addresses as soon as they connect to the internet. Trouble is, there are bigger problems for the police to solve. Once these things are out in the black market it won't be worth their time to recover them individually. My guess though is these units will be headed to South America were the markup is incredible, and easy to sell at a "Paraguay Fair"[/citation]
Your giving people too much credit, i'm pretty sure they didnt write **** down, and they will probably never see those wares again as they will be sold to chain shops for 80% of the value. Everyone wins , except the one who lost it all. If the make good deals with the sellers everyone is gonna shut up, its a crisis remember everyone wants money.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
they'll recieve less fines if caught than downloading music yes... but they woudl have restitution (which would probably never get paid) and much more jail time for grand theft .. granted if they are downloading greenday i'd say they'd still get busted for pot when they went to sieze the computer... so they'd get a little jail time as well... jail time all around ... yay?

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Wrong. Business as usual, all the goods were insured. If they are stolen, Sony and businesses will get paid at least recovering all the cost/expenses by the insurance company. They don't lose anything.

Sony won't go after individual buyers to lock them down, after at all, absolute majority of buyers will not know if it's stolen or not, however they keep buying game/softwares so Sony make money on them anyway. Why not?

Now, stealing is a crime, that's police's job. Maybe Sony can help tracking the IPs to narrow down the range and providing such information to the police, and that's it.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Your giving people too much credit, i'm pretty sure they didnt write **** down, and they will probably never see those wares again as they will be sold to chain shops for 80% of the value. Everyone wins , except the one who lost it all. If the make good deals with the sellers everyone is gonna shut up, its a crisis remember everyone wants money.[/citation]

Any big company keeps tabs on thier products and especially when they have serial #'s on them. Sony isnt some rag tag operation and just threw some boxes on a truck and gave the driver google map directions...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
first one stolen Monday, second one stolen on Tuesday. those CSI guys sure know their stuff. the crime reported on Wednesday. just like in the movies. the police will arrive when the criminals already fled with the goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.