$1,500 System Can Intercept Your Cellphone Calls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Interesting and dangerous if used for the wrong reasons.[/citation] Can't see any right reasons.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]So considering the fact that baby's can't read, does that make this a potential trick bet? ;-)[/citation]
Haven't you seen the infomercials? Your Baby Can Read!

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]My cellphone conversations are so boring I don't care who listens in to them.[/citation]That's because you didn't had half a century of old school totalitarian communism in USA. A few more P.A.T.R.I.O.T. acts and private security companies creating databases of genital photos and maybe you'll understand. First signs will be targeted penis enlargement ads at airports.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]$10 goes to whomever can tell me what that baby is reading. It looks like something evil.[/citation]
It would appear that our young cell phone user is reading a product brochure from a car company.

Go ahead and send my $10 to the NSA. While the CIA may have some of these, the NSA's are sure to be better.

Honestly, does this ability, given how cellular systems work and the need for interoperability and backwards compatibility, come as surprise to anyone? This is essentially basic RF jamming. Not rocket science.

For those (including the folks in the Arabian Peninsula) who think the encryption used by Blackberries makes it too hard to eavesdrop, you aren't using the right tools. Anything that accesses public cell networks can be decrypted.

JPHD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I pick up loads of 2.4 ghz phone calls by accident when I turn my Sennheiser wireless headphone on. Every time I turn the thing on without a signal from my pc I get all sorts of crazy talk. Same logic should apply to any form of wireless communication. If you want confidentiality use a land line. Not saying it cant be tapped, just that it's harder.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
>I pick up loads of 2.4 ghz phone calls by accident when I turn my >Sennheiser wireless headphone on. Every time I turn the thing on without a >signal from my pc I get all sorts of crazy talk. Same logic should apply to >any form of wireless communication. If you want confidentiality use a land >line. Not saying it cant be tapped, just that it's harder.

Oh I beg to differ! Land lines have been recorded for about 50 yrs.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I'm running a cell booster on my roof now because cell service in my area is so poor. I assume you could easily modify one of these kits to record whatever you wanted. I got my kit at www.jdteck.com if anyone wants to get one.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Don't worry, the cia already has these.[/citation]

In reality they don't even need to intercept the signal but instead they are in bed with the major service providers such as AT&T or Comcast and can eavesdrop from the major hubs that make up the internet as well the phone networks.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know what I find is the most amusing aspect of all of this? That ANYONE has an expectation of privacy while talking on the phone. I have always held to the assumption that anyone could be listening in at any time. Whether it's someone in another room pickup up the phone (that might be before your time, for some of you), or someone tapping the line from outside (trivial to do); or, on the early cell phones which were analog, scanners were able to receive those channels (the FCC required those frequencies to be blocked in newer manufactured scanners), and on to this.

The people in these forums are all pretty tech savvy... have any of you ever really thought your cell phone conversations were absolutely private?

Well, anyway, live and learn I guess. I've just always tried not to have to learn things THE HARD WAY. :)

lawlthegamer

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom] or someone tapping the line from outside (trivial to do); [/citation]

lol, I remember doing that in high school with 2 buds, was the best way to make prank calls and never get caught :)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not sure how significant this will be, considering that majority of calls aren't a big deal anyway. Important calls are usually routed through wired lines anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.