Solved! 1 home WiFi won’t connect to laptop but other will

Sep 10, 2020
My work laptop has always had poorer WiFi signals since I started working from home than any other device used on our network, but it keeps getting worse. My work’s IT manager has been no help.
Started with slower speed tests than anything else, including others’ work laptops running under same conditions. This week, my connection got worse. I tried connecting via Ethernet and it worked fabulously, like speeds of 350 mbps +. But, now I can’t connect via WiFi at all to my main network (home1). We have a second one that extends signal upstairs under another network name (home2). I can connect to home2 just fine and thru Ethernet, but even after restarts of the laptop, forgetting the network and reconnecting it, no updates to WiFi card needed (ac 8725), tried pinging on the command prompt and it worked just fine, and I’m still unable to connect to that home1 network, but even though I’m 1 ft away from it, and a whole floor away from home2.
I need to connect to home1 as my work space is not in range for home2, which is why this is an issue.
I need serious help, this is driving me insane, especially with no support from my work’s IT manager.
Also, I’m no IT expert so bear with me, I’ll need walk throughs, lol.

Last edited:
Solution
I've no experience with this happening myself, but RF levels vary with the square of the separation. When you are a foot away, the signal levels would be very high and maybe your laptop wifi is saturating (it can happen with other types of RF devices). Try moving 10 ft away (not "far" away as you tried before) and see what happens. However, since you are so close to the router (in the same room?) maybe a direct ethernet connection is the best. That doesn't address your issue directly but may be the simplest fix.
Sep 10, 2020
Ok. Moved to another portion of the house, far away, and while I couldn’t originally get a signal, I did eventually connect to home1 enough that I get a 23 mbps speed connection. 5 mins later it dropped out but 5 mins after that, I connected again.
Is this just a crappy WiFi network overall kind of thing or the computer? I guess this is the ultimate question for me as I ultimately just need to know who to yell at, haha. I’m just so confused since it’s the only device that ever has an issue, but there also seems to be a general wifi issue.

I've no experience with this happening myself, but RF levels vary with the square of the separation. When you are a foot away, the signal levels would be very high and maybe your laptop wifi is saturating (it can happen with other types of RF devices). Try moving 10 ft away (not "far" away as you tried before) and see what happens. However, since you are so close to the router (in the same room?) maybe a direct ethernet connection is the best. That doesn't address your issue directly but may be the simplest fix.

Solution