10 Reasons iPhone X Beats the Galaxy Note 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencez

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
This article is horrible, compare it to the S8, not Note 8.

FACEID Is worse then TouchID. It's not natural or simple.

The s8 has Google's Augmented Reality stuff.

Removing the home button is a negative. So much more annoying to slide up and try to slide up without going up too far to go into Multi Tasking.

The CPU or specs or the phone don't matter to an extent, it's how the phone FEELS. If the IPhone 10 feels as fast as an s8, then they're both winners. 99% of people use their phones just for snapchat, texting, and other social media. They do not need this extra power.

The camera stuff is debatable, the new camera features might be useless or suck, or work good. We won't know till the phone comes out.

The AniMojis are just really silly and unlimitly useless and shouldn't influence your decision.

The glass durability is just a claim by apple, we will have to wait till the phone comes out.

M

M.Spoonauer

Thanks for your comment. Actually, the Note 8 makes more sense as comparison than S8 because they are in the same price range, although the S8 is a great phone.

Also, looking at your phone is pretty simple, but I get why some will miss Touch ID.
It never worked reliably for me. The S8 will get augmented reality stuff, sure,
but I guarantee you iOS will have better apps. There's more fragmentation with Android.

And that extra power does come in handy for games as well as AR. I'd rather have a future-proof phone for close to $1,000. Agree we'll have to wait for other things like durability. We still need to test it.

In the meantime, check out our article on why Note 8 beats the iPhone.

Silencez

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

I apologize if I sounded so hostile, but it seems that a lot of points in this were extremely debatable and some just going off what Apple said with no real test to confirm it.

Touch ID may of not worked for everyone but It worked for me and a lot of people I know flawlessly, you just unlock the phone and without thinking the Touch ID works. Face ID just seems like a downgrade, Apple seems addicted to making their devices as thin as possible. Most users would probably not care if it was a bit thicker and had a finger print sensor on the back, or whatever they would of had to do to include it.

Augmented Reality is a interesting but I feel like it is more then a gimmick then anything. I think it would be most useful in seeing if items would fit in your house. As IOS itself has shown, you can still do a lot of stuff with less power. I don't think the extra power really matters for the average user and overall it matters more how the Operating System uses the power or how optimized the application itself is.

Thanks for replying :)

edynosleep

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
You should not be judging until you actually have the phones physically side by side to do a fair comparison. Apples to Oranges. This article is based on speculation and agree its fake news at this point also. Good job Toms Guide. Feeling dissapointed.

markring

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
The Iphone X actually is unknown; the chip is secret as well as most of its performance facts. The real fact is that the Iphone can not multi-task; the Iphone is actually more comparable to the S8+ based upon size which you failed to mention that the Note 8 is actually larger because the screen is larger. The Note 8 is not much difference in size than the S8+ which was easy to hold as is the Note 8 (just sold my S8+ because I received my Note 8); the Iphone does not mention Ram but the Note 8 has 6 GB; the new glass back for Iphone - well you indicate that Apple says it will not break; just as the Iphone did not bend?? The facial rec maybe good maybe not; at least the Samsung folks know how to work the phone before the national demo... You also failed to mention the free stuff with the Samsung; and that Samsung gave Note 7 owners a much larger trade in option; ie $425 for a $100 phone; not bad to get $325 off; the regular folks could get about $200 net off plus the free stuff. So the price is not comparable then we have the new wireless charging; something Samsung has had since the Note 5; oh boy Apple is creating new tech; oh no its not; just copying so much the phone looks like a Samsung; except they still have the headphone jack and uses USB C so no messing with the always breaking lightning cable...

genei.09

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
So really there's two things here, front camera and AR.

I'm laughing that most of these items are based on the front camera tech. The AR stuff is interesting, and maybe it'll finally take off with the Apple marketing machine behind it. While the iPhone X might have better AR capabilities I'd much rather look through the AR viewfinder of a larger phone than a smaller one.

I also find the "size is so uncomfortable" argument to be a lot of FUD. I got the case for my Note 8 before the phone and placed it in my hand to see if I could reach the power and volume buttons at the same time. Not only could I but it placed my index finger directly over where the finger print scanner would be. For a final size comparison I put my S7 edge with it's minimalist case still on inside the new case, and it fit perfectly, even the buttons still worked. So we're talking 2mm of size difference.

You've also got a number of typos here, might want to clean those up.

genei.09

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
So really there's two things here, front camera and AR.

I'm laughing that most of these items are based on the front camera tech. The AR stuff is interesting, and maybe it'll finally take off with the Apple marketing machine behind it. While the iPhone X might have better AR capabilities I'd much rather look through the AR viewfinder of a larger phone than a smaller one.

I also find the "size is so uncomfortable" argument to be a lot of FUD. I got the case for my Note 8 before the phone and placed it in my hand to see if I could reach the power and volume buttons at the same time. Not only could I but it placed my index finger directly over where the finger print scanner would be. For a final size comparison I put my S7 edge with it's minimalist case still on inside the new case, and it fit perfectly, even the buttons still worked. So we're talking 2mm of size difference.

You've also got a number of typos here, might want to clean those up.

genei.09

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
I am curious to see if the video frame rate claim is true, and at what length the video can be recorded. When 240 fps capable sensors first hit the market the systems using them were limited both in resolution and length of time the video could record. Mostly because of CPU, RAM, and storage speeds and sizes. So with more RAM the Note 8 should be capable of recording a longer video at high frame rate, but that could be made up for with storage speed. Also curious to see what sort of compression is being done on the video if any as the CPU power could come into play there as well.

jeffc73oc

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Even though the apple might record 4k at a higher frame rate than the samsung. Neither one boast a 4k screen so playback on the phone will look the same because the video will be degraded to 2k resolution. I've recorded both 4k and 1080 on my s8 + and I can't see the difference. Now playback connected to a 4k TV, then maybe we will see the difference. But maybe 5% of the people will play video back on a TV. Plus 4k takes up to much memory and uploading it to social media is useless. Most people will record in 1080 HD

240.9638.mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
This was a nice expose of some of the Apple's best features, but as someone else noted: 10 of the 12 slides were straight from apple, and it completely ignored some of the things that Samsung always does better than Apple:

1) I use the phone to listen to music on serious headphones. Because I am serious about the quality of the music I listen to, I pay $20/month for Tidal HiFi, and I expect the DAC on my phone to be up to the task. Since the Note 4 Samsung has included a serious DAC and a pretty good headphone amp in their headsets. Since it was not one of Apples talking points, you can bet that it is a weakness. Bluetooth only hardware geared toward VERY lossy mp3's (all mp3's are very lossy)

2) Apple claims excellent glass. I will take them at their word. Samsung has been using the latest Gorilla Glass for years. It is time apple caught up with their phone (which is always more expensive than Samsung's flagship. I think that is by design.

3) The Samsung allows you to add a memory card that will store up to 256 GB (in addition to the memory in the phone). Apple refuses to support this technology because they want to upcharge you for the 128GB . And that is the end of the story.

4) I am disappointed with both phones since neither has a removable battery. That is one reason I bought an LG V20 instead of an S8+ (My wife has an S8+ and loves it)

5) Speaking of the S8+, since you ignored the S-Pen -- One of the few real differences between the S8+ and the Note 8 -- you should as someone else pointed out, be comparing this phone to the S8+, which costs a couple hundred dollars less -- except you did not want to admit to ANY advantages over the Apple.

6) Really? $1000 for a 5.5 inch phone? And you are swallowing whole Apple's line that that makes it better? Kind of like when they claimed that lower resolution was better (before they woke up and upped their resolution)

7) Battery. Now Apple is REALLY good at power management. It allows them to squeeze impressive life out of a smaller and lighter battery. A plus for Apple that you didn't mention since they didn't.

8) I will be looking forward to a real comparison report (maybe by CNET) instead of an ad by a confirmed Apple fanboy

240.9638.mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
GENEI.09: There is a reason that phones (and still cameras) will not record for more than 30 minutes of video, and that reason has nothing to do with memory or CPU speed or any other technical limitation. Devices that record more than 30 minutes of video are considered video recorders and carry significantly heavier import duties in both the U.S. and Europe.

jeffc73oc

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

Those are some good points. I just recently found that the S8 and s8plus both support FLAC audio. Apple has something similar ALAC but the files are slightly bigger and almost as good in audio reproduction. I have 1 album in Flac format and it sounds good. Especially on a good pair of headphones.

240.9638.mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
Nothing wrong with ALAC. But with the new apple you are taking the lossless music, compressing it and counting on your headphones to decompress it. Some of the phones that use the latest Bluetooth signatures are not bad. But nothing beats a wire. I use a Bose bluetooth set while biking. Otherwise I use my Oppo wired headphones. Since I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, I do not know how much music is available in the ALAC format. I do know that TIDAL has most digitally available music available as FLAC. Both FLAC and ALAC are lossless compression technologies. FLAC and ALAC both require a lot more storage than mp3. (There's that Apple memory limitation again)

Status
Not open for further replies.