100% Disk Activity

Hyun0819

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Hello,

I've run into a rather troublesome problem on my Lenovo Y410p laptop where whenever I open an application (such as Firefox), the disk usage will shoot up to 100% and stay at 100% for a while before coming back down. This wasn't the case until a month ago. I'm definitely noticing slower program start-ups and programs stalling. I'm not entirely sure which change caused this problem to arise but I would appreciate any help!

A little history: I faced this problem a little over a year ago and I don't remember how it was solved.

Symptoms/Attempts:
Laptop has a slow start-up.
Firefox will often stop responding and needs to wait until it responds. (Especially when opening Netflix?)
Disk activity does not stay at 100% forever; it comes down eventually then fluctuates up and down even I'm not doing anything.
When I checked resource monitor on Task Manager, different files took up the highest Total (B/sec) but often was the User file path of the program I was trying to run (such as Users\-namehere-\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\...) or Pagefile/swap file.
I've tried disabling Superfetch, Windows Search, and BITS
I've changed Windows Update to manual
I've disabled all notifications on Windows
I've tried Chkdsk (Took 10 hours but nothing was changed)
I've tried sfc scannow (came back clean)
I've tried safe mode + clean boot (felt a little faster but disk activity tab was not available on task manager? so couldn't tell for sure)
I ran CrystalDiskInfo for S.M.A.R.T. (resulted in "Caution" status caused by C5 Current Pending Sector Count with Current: 100, Worst: 98, Threshold: 0, Raw Values: 000000000003)

Today - I did a system reset but startup is still really slow and the disk activity still remains at 100% for a long duration.

I will post screenshots if needed.
I've just been reading posts online and following solutions but I'm clueless on how to fix this problem.

Would upgrading my hdd to a new ssd be a possible solution?
Any help is appreciated!

Solution
1. Backup all important data immediately since it could be developing bad sectors.
2. SSD is good but does not last as long as traditional hdd, however that may not be the situation now since i dont follow ssd tech with the utmost attention.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
1. Backup all important data immediately since it could be developing bad sectors.
2. SSD is good but does not last as long as traditional hdd, however that may not be the situation now since i dont follow ssd tech with the utmost attention.

Solution

Hyun0819

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

I've backed up all the important data last week to prepare myself for the worst.
I'm not entirely sure if this problem will fix by simply replacing the hdd. If that were the case, i would do so immediately.