100 million downloads down the drain – why you can't trust this VPN

Jul 28, 2024
Subscribed to Nord VPN but never use it. No need to ever buy a separate VPN again since Firefox, Opera Browser, Microsoft's browser and Norton's internet 360 all have built in VPNS. For basic browsing that's good enough for me.

Jul 28, 2024
There are so many different VPNs these days, but can a VPN with 100 million downloads really be that bad?

100 million downloads down the drain – why you can't trust this VPN : Read more
To answer your question "yes", for a certain subset of users.

I'm in the USA, just a private citizen wanting to protect our devices from surveillance by our local ISP. Bought a 2 year subscription for Nord VPN. Worked as described for about 2 months then, after some number of updates, began to experience a problem - Nord reports "Lost connection to internet". Clearly the internet connection was not lost, the Nord clioent had lost connection to the Nord server and could not re-establish that connection.
I reported this Nord, they gave the MS runaround, remove; reinstall; retry. After a few weeks of that Nord informed me this was a know problem with Mac Big Sur and no ETA for a fix.

They also strongly recommended that I NOT downgrade to an older version of Nord. Not even sure how I would go about that.

My peeve:
1. This is a known problem
2. No ETA for a fix.
3. Nord continues to advertise the VPN service to Mac users with no disclaimers re Big Sur.

I did not ask Nord for a refund, it is well past the trial period, I simply asked that my subscription be extended by the amount of time it takes to develop and deploy a working fix. No joy trying that approach.

Moka Pot