1060 GTX 6Gb on 17R4, Games for the 1060 GTX?

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I recently purchased a Alienware 17R4, which comes with a 1060GTX, 6Gb. GPU. I am currently running games on an Asus G750 with a 870M GTX.

I purchased the 17R4 as a replacement, (future replacement).

I know I can still run alot of games on the 870m, but what games should I look forward to that might require the 1060 GTX??

Just a quick discussion.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Require? None, a GTX1060 can run pretty much any recent title at 1920x1080 with a reasonable frame rate with quite high settings.

It is a mid-range card from a product line that is nearly double the speed of the previous generation. Also, that is no mobile chip, it is a full desktop GPU, most likely running less clocks than a desktop card.

870m would have been roughly equivalent to a desktop GTX760. GTX1060 rivals the flagship 780Ti of the time.

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Cool, I guess, are there any games, (future) that will be requiring the 1060GTX or expected to require that 1060 GTX, or did I just waste my money moving from a 870m to a 1060 GTX gaming notebook.

Currently, I play the Borderlands Series (still), GR Wildlands, The Division, Stick of Truth. I just started to play Rise of the Tomb Raider and looking forward to playing Fracture Butt Whole.

I have not fully moved over to the 17R4, completely, but I wanted to move to a new notebook, since my G750 is about 3 years old, I have only owned to for about 6 months, purchased it used from a friend, for $650, so now I feel as if I should have just purchased the 17R4, and not wasted the $650, now I have two gaming notebooks.

Okay, so I am good for current games and hopefully good for the next _____ years???

Thanks for you comment.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
It is hard to say exactly how long it will be before there is a game a GTX1060 can't run. You can always reduce resolution and settings to run more graphically demanding titles. It has plenty of memory so is decently future proof there, and should allow for decent texture settings for a good while. All depends on what settings you are comfortable with.

I don't think there are any groundbreaking technologies up and coming that would make it not work. DX12 is still early stages, but the card supports the base features.

EspiOne

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

I guess, I am still suffering from my last Alienware trama, M14x R2, that ran a 650m, that I purchased in 2012, ran great, but then when I started to play Dying Light, Frame rates were choppy as hell. It eventually died and I was out of a gaming system for a while. The G750 was a great replacement. I guess, I feel a little comfortable knowing this the Alienware can at least last me a few years, since I added a 4 year warranty to it.