1080p and 144hz Laptop Support

Ethan_46

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
I have a Asus ROG GL552VW-DH74 and I want to increase the FPS when gaming on my second monitor. If I have an HDMI 2.0 port, can it support the 144hz refresh rate. And the screen on the laptop is only a 1080p at 60hz but I can get up to 120FPS, but on my monitor (also 1080p at 60hz) it only reaches 60FPS. So in summary, can an HDMI 2.0 support 144hz and if not, is there anyway to run a high refresh rate than 60hz? What are my options? Also, if my laptop doesn't run at a higher resolution tha 1080p, would i even be able to have my external monitor run at a high resolution or even refresh rate?

Solution
You can't just go by the HDMI spec, but what the laptop specifically can do. Best place to ask would be Asus support.

Your external monitor resolution can be set to whatever the monitor is, it's not limited to the resolution of the screen. The refresh rate you should check with the support.
You can't just go by the HDMI spec, but what the laptop specifically can do. Best place to ask would be Asus support.

Your external monitor resolution can be set to whatever the monitor is, it's not limited to the resolution of the screen. The refresh rate you should check with the support.

Solution