Question 12GB vs 8gb ram. Dual channel affected or not?

Jun 26, 2020
I own a HP pavilion n209tx laptop. The hp website states max RAM capacity is 12gb. Currently I have 4gb*2 on both slots. I would like to know if replacing one 4gb with an 8gb stick of same frequency will affect performance? I see that running photoshop+lightroom and adobe Bridge at the same time slows my system down. I understand a better processor would solve the issue but since the memory often requires more RAM does that mean that the 12gb will improve performance by at least 10-15%? What happens to dual channel at this point?

Jun 26, 2020
From which data sheet did you get the 12GB max. capacity? Please post a link

Try 2x8GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM

If you upgrade to 12GB, only 8GB would be in dual channel mode and the rest in single channel mode
It was on the HP website for the laptop model and other websites that list my laptop model. If the max is 12gb how will 2x8GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM work? What about performance upgrading from 8gb dual channel to 12gb?

Jun 26, 2020
8GB is sufficient. Don't move to 12 GB
I can clearly see it reaching 7.8gb and then my laptop freezes up. I assume it needs more memory. Chrome itself takes up a huge chunk. You need to explain why 12gb is not better than 8gb. I want to understand what happens when my laptop demands more. I understand I lose dual channel. So does it use both 8+4 when required or does it stick to 8gb only and never uses the 4gb.

Reactions: marlonibz
Jun 26, 2020
Not sure if another version of the laptop is available. But mine is the Indian version. How do I verfiy this? Cause hp has removed the max ram specs from their product info. It is available on some hp forums and Amazon where it states 12gb max.
Manual, page 2-3

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04438537

Two SODIMM customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
DDR3L-1600-MHz dual channel support
DDR3L-1600-MHz single channel support
Supports
up to 12 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600MHz module), (select models only)
Supports the following system RAM configurations:
● 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1)
● 8192 MB (8192 MB×1 or 4096 MB×2); not supported on computer models equipped
● 6144 MB (4096 MB×1 + 2048 MB×1); not supported on computer models equipped with a 32-bit operating system
● 4096 MB (4096 MB×1 or 2048 MB×2)
● 2048 MB (2048 MB×1)

Jun 26, 2020
check if there are really
"Two SODIMM customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots"
if there are two slots, you will be able to install 2x8GB

If one 4GB module is soldered to the motherboard, you can only install one additional 8GB module
So you mean to say that my laptop even though it specifies max 12gb support, it will be able to take in 16gb total and not cause an issue? Isn't that weird? Does it mean that it will use only 12gb from the available 16gb? Because it clearly specifies 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1) .

The 4gb isn't soldered to the motherboard. @helpstar

Jun 26, 2020
The memory controller is integrated in the CPU.

Is the CPU an Intel I3 4005U?

If yes, I´m 99% sure, that 16GB will work in it:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...ore-i3-4005u-processor-3m-cache-1-70-ghz.html
It is an i5-4200U CPU. So you 99% sure it won't break my system? I did read online about memory lanes supported and I'm no hardware geek, but this thing about crossing the max specified amount confuses me. Why even specify it as 12gb when it can support 16gb as you say. My next question to you is, if it does support 8+8, will it be using dual channel in that case since the restriction is 12gb?
It says :
Two SODIMM customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
DDR3L-1600-MHz dual channel support
DDR3L-1600-MHz single channel support

This is what throws me off @helpstar
Based on my logic, even if I install 8+8, it will use only one 8 in dual channel and the 4 from the other as single channel. So the point of dual channel 8+8 is lost entirely

two sticks, two channels -> dual channel 8+8 will be dualchannel all the way or wouldn´t work at all if the 12GB max. memory size would be true.

one stick -> single channel

it won´t break it, it just wouldn´t boot if the BIOS is limited, but I doubt that, might be a faulty description in the manual

Reactions: marlonibz

sastofugi

Estimable
May 15, 2017
TL,DR: you could use 8GB and the 4GB to make 12GB, but I advise you to not do so, get 2 x 8GB and you will be way better off.

I also agree that your laptop should be able to use up to 16GB.
12GB is a strange number, for once there are not 6GB So-DIMMS readily available, so unless your specific laptop version has a 4GB soldered on the MoBo, which I doubt since it has to 2 slots, only in that case the max memory that you could add would be 12GB that with the onboard 4GB would make the 16GB supported... but even than if would compromise the memory Dual Channel access.
And again if the above is not the case, so there is no onboard 4GB soldered, you could put in an 8GB So-DIMM, but again you would diminish the Dual Channel memory access system: only 4GB if any, would be Dual Channel, so sometime the your programs would be faster then other times depending on what part of the memory your data would reside... also program and processor timing and prediction would be an hit and miss.

but again you would diminish the Dual Channel memory access system: only 4GB if any, would be Dual Channel, so sometime the your programs would be faster then other times depending on what part of the memory your data would reside... also program and processor timing and prediction would be an hit and miss.
all above 8GB (2x4GB) wouldn´t be dual channel, if it would only be a 12GB configuration

Sep 23, 2020
Ok, I made an account just to be able to reply.

You said that your system can only support up to 12GB RAM based on your research. If it's a 64bit OS, it can support probably more BUT what made your specs said only "up to 12gb" probably means that one of your stick is soldered in the motherboard so you probably want to check that first before you upgrade.

Running Dual-channel on 12GB ram is actually common nowadays because some 'hybrid' motherboards can do it: The first 4gigs of your 8GB stick will dual channel on the other solo 4GB stick, then the remaining 4gigs of your 8GB stick will single channel. If your Mobo supports it, lucky you :D

If you have checked your laptop ram isn't soldered, then you can go for 2x8GB on a 64bit system. Test it on 12GB first if you are satisfied with the performance, you don't have to upgrade anymore.