Solved! RAM mHz two different slots - HP 15.6 ef0023dx

Aug 7, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have a HP 15.6 ef0023dx laptop and was researching RAM recently only to find out that I have two slots for RAM. One is 8MG @ 2666mHz and the other is 4GB @ 3200mHz. In Task Manager looking at the performance, the computer is only reading at the frequency of the 2666mHz slot.

Can anyone let me know why a laptop would have two different frequency slots, and why it only reads the lower frequency? Why not make them the same mHz?

Solution
It did make them the same, the lower speed, which is normal. As to why you have two different RAM models there, would have to ask HP unless someone else installed this other stick for you.
Aug 7, 2020
Came from manufacturer that way. I guess I'm more curious as to why they would put a higher RAM speed in there if it's only going to work off the slower one? Why not put the same speed for both? Weird stuff.

Came from manufacturer that way. I guess I'm more curious as to why they would put a higher RAM speed in there if it's only going to work off the slower one? Why not put the same speed for both? Weird stuff.

Because that is what they had on hand or got at a good price. There is no set RAM model and speed vendors use past some core speed requirements for the system, it's usually whatever is cheaper at the time or in stock.