13 / 14 inch light stylish laptop with dedicated graphic card

ricak

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
1. What is your budget?
around 900 give or take.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
between 13 and 14 inch screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?
at least 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
more than 4/5 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

LOL - medium / high
CS:GO - medium / high
Football manager
Fifa 14 - medium / high

I won't be playing games too heavy like detailed FPS (COD, Crisis) or GTA

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
normal office tools, watching videos and internet

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

250gb would be more than enough.
I guess OS wouldnt take more than 10, 4 games would be 60/70 gb, extra software would be close to 15 gb (office photoshop and some minor ones, vlc, skype...) and having some free space for personal documents.

not sure if 120gb would do... any suggestions?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

FOREVER!!! a couple of years... 3, 4 years maybe more...

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
NO optical drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like asus
Had issues with Acer

13. What country do you live in?
UK / Portugal

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Currently i have a Clevo 17 inch PW370EM a beast!!! very good, very powerful!
but i'll pass it on to my younger brother who will make the most out of it! I'm not using it/ playing as much as I first intended.
So now I'm looking for a smaller, lighter, with better battery life than my current clevo (1 hour... :S its not a laptop... its a mobile desktop!!) but still with a dedicated graphic card!
that is why i was looking into some ultrabooks:

- Asus UX303LN (13.3) (this seems to be the one!!!) - where could I buy this one in the UK?
- i was also told about Clevo W840SN wich seems nice as well, but i'm not sure if it would be a good choice.. (still taking it in consideration)

I also looked at few others as the kirabook, thinkpad yoga...

the main thing is that im looking for a more stylish laptop, with 13....14 inch screen, no less than 13, no bigger than 14. With dedicated graphic card that can last for some time. don't want to solely rely on the intel HD graphs

Also, I will want to use a Linux distribuion as OS. Hopefully everything will work fine. So far I think that only the League Of Legends doesn't have official support for linux.

please fell free to sugest any laptop that may be close to what I intend and give any advice on any direction please!

Thank you

Solution
G
"1. What is your budget?
around 900 give or take."

I'm not sure, but this sounds a little offensive. Nobody is here to sell you their notebook nor to bargain with you, this is a forum where you can ask for suggestions.

Anyway, this fits you like ring to the finger http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/ the base model may be enough but if you don't mind expending a little extra (although it is still under your budget) get the model with a 256GB SSD. You may want to do backups on an external HDD just in case the SSD fails over time, although they last long enough, HDDs last even longer and we don't want to lose our data.
G

"1. What is your budget?
around 900 give or take."

I'm not sure, but this sounds a little offensive. Nobody is here to sell you their notebook nor to bargain with you, this is a forum where you can ask for suggestions.

Anyway, this fits you like ring to the finger http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/ the base model may be enough but if you don't mind expending a little extra (although it is still under your budget) get the model with a 256GB SSD. You may want to do backups on an external HDD just in case the SSD fails over time, although they last long enough, HDDs last even longer and we don't want to lose our data.

Solution

ricak

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
On the budget, I just missed the currency... 900£ "give or take"! yes, give or take. the idea is to get suggestions taking in consideration the above criteria. Budget is one of them. By "around 900 give or take" I mean that if any suggested laptop is cheaper, then it is a plus, if it is more expensive, it is something to think about.
I would't exclude 950.. 1000.. 1050£ laptop. At the moment I have no budget, that is only a starting point.
I still don't understand why you find it offensive, but the intention was never that! :)

About the suggested laptop it looks very nice indeed, Thank you!
The only "concern" I have is the graphic card. I'm no guru, but I've been reading in few places (even from personal experience from my 7970m) that AMD doesn't have a good support under linux... The main OS would be ubuntu. by any chance would you know if it works well or if it would be an issue?

Cheers

G

I am not sure if that GPU is supported by ubuntu or any linux distro currently available. I can tell that good linux distros work almost with everything but I understand that it may be of your concern to be sure before making the purchase. I tried googling and all I found was the "Catalyst Centre" (Something like the Nvidia control panel) someone who has an AMD based machine should know better than me, but it's certain that it's available for Linux OSs too. The only way to be sure is by testing yourself but I believe that can't be done, the closest
you can get is asking someone who has bought one already or by googling even deeper than I did.