13,3"-14" laptop for programming and Diablo 3?

Sultanen

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
1. What is your budget?
1000-1500$
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferable 14" but 13,3 might do aswell, a nonGlossy(matte) screen is really important
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Higher then the regular 1366x768 for the purpose of a good overview of code in Visual Studio
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This will be my main computer
5. How much battery life do you need?
Atleast 4-5hours in low load
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Diablo 3 with resonable good performance, dont play anything atm but this i have waited for since... long.. and i wanna be able to enjoy it
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly programming
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not a big consern 2-300GB will be plenty
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A couple of years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Quality brands, had a coupple of Thinkpads and they are amazing in quality!
Acer is not an alternative

13. What country do you live in?
Sweden
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.

If you consider that you can and an anti-glare film to a glossy display - your options open up quite a bit.

Maziar's suggested Envy 14 / Alienware M14x with some premium anti-glare film should cover all your requirements.

Or something ilke Sony Series S 13.3" notebook might be an option worth looking at.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

OP said desktop replacement which means it will always be close to an outlet I cannot recommend anything less powerful than an Asus G73 as a proper quality desktop replacement system.

Sultanen

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Actually i didn't say "desktop replacement", i said "main computer", and with my needs i would never consider a computer bigger then a 14", i need mobility and i dont want to work on different computers. I know this is whats limiting my options alot.

I have checked out the Envy 14 and i don't like that computer, dont know why, seemes a bit to big i think.. And that alienware looks like a spacecraft, im working im working as a "freelancing" programmer alongside with my studies and with that computer i find it hard to take myself serious :sarcastic:

That VAIO seems to be a really interesting option! From what i have heard that grapics card is a reccomended minimum to be able to play Diablo 3 with resonable resolution! All the other specs match up to what i need, with plenty of costumisation.. But one thing was that some reviews found the battery to be a bit to week =/

A anti-glare film, do they work propperly? What brand does the best once, since a matte screen is a must for me, as you say, if this works it would give me a bit more options.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Try this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141&Tpk=Asus%20G53 a little bigger than 14" but it's easy enough to lug around and it's got lots of BALLS for a laptop.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

You are asking to much from a laptop mate the Asus Gxx series is the only one that has a proper good Cooling solution in other words it's a functional high performance portable gaming/workstation which is much more than you can say for any other laptops on the market but it's your cash if you want aesthetics get them but they will cost you functionality and performance.

Sultanen

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
The Sony SA has a i5-2450M with deactivable AMD Radeon HD 6630M, do you think that it will be a low performing computer for regular needs as a docked PC?

it gets quite loud at higher load but i will mainly do lowdemanding tasks on it so the noice shuldnt be a problem since the only demaning tasks probably will be some D3 gaming.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

You really have to be worried about heat with laptops the higher performance the more heat

Sultanen

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I will bump this thread, im still looking for a decent laptop, 13,3-14inch, matte screen and higher resolution than 1366*768 are the most important things.
Are there any new laptops out there, that you can recommend ,since the thread was started? :)

Sultanen

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thank you for that tip, i actually think that the regular t430 is a bit to thick, but the t430s semes to be alot lighter and thinner, with similar hardware configuration available :D Just a smaller battery but there is an ultrabay battery available.

Is there any other option to those t430/t430s?

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
A little digging brought me to these. Now keep in mind I dont think you are going to find ANY 14" or lower with 1920x1080 except the sony vaio Z but that is way over priced, but there are a few with 1600x900. I found these two:

HP EliteBook 8470p ( $1279.00 )
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start;sid=UPFOPa4IHqJHPf5ZQGNRtHYHgv92TNuwINU=?ProductUUID=2k0Q7EN5GoQAAAE3RooDRUHJ&CatalogCategoryID=&JumpTo=OfferList

Intel® Core™ i7-3520M
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500 GB 7200 rpm SATA II
DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL
AMD Radeon HD 7570M (1 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
14" diagonal LED-backlit HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900)
Up to 9 hours and 15 minutes

Tecra R940-S9440 ( $1459.00 )
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000034179

Intel® Core™ i7-3520M processor
4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory
320GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial ATA)
DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
AMD Radeon™ HD 7570M (1 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
14.0" HD+ TFT LED Backlit display 1600x900, 16:9 aspect ratio, Supports 720p content
Up to 5.9 hours

If it were me and just looking at the spec/price ratio, the HP is more for less and would be my top choice. On top of that it seems that the HP is the only one that offers a matte screen. Hope this helps.