14/15" Laptop for office/light gaming

unboostedzc

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Thanks for the help guys. Was a member a long time ago and back in the market for a new laptop. Coming from a 15" HP DV6604NR (AMD TK-55 Dual Core, 2gb ram).

1. What is your budget? -----<$1200, would prefer to stay in the 1000-1100 range.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? -----14" (preferred) or 15"/15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? ----- 1600x900 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? -----Portable, I haul it around everywhere.

5. How much battery life do you need? ----- Average. Im typically around an outlet and/or keep an extra battery around.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? -----I want the potential to. Right now the only thing I might play is SC2. Discrete graphics a must but not looking for anything crazy.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) -----Primarily: HD (1080p) streaming to TV, office applications, Photoshop/HDR photo editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? -----Prefer 500GB or higher but not a dealbreaker with USB3.0 and external drives.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. -----No.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? -----Until I get impatient with it, 2-3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? -----DVD Burner minimum, Bluray reader preferred.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. -----Right now I dont have a preference. The models Ive been most interested in and have priced so far:

Lenovo Thinkpad T420/T420s - Lack of USB3.0 in the T420 models was the dealbreaker. T420s priced w/ discrete graphics and upgraded LCD brought machine up to the $1400+ range.
Dell Latitude E6420 - Only discrete graphics option is the 512MB NVIDIA® QNVS 4200M and priced with it they're running ~$1300 (+tax). Also saw, but not positive that it doesn't have USB3.0 (eSata instead)
Dell XPS15 - Almost exactly where I want to be, but it looks horrible to me. I cant justify spending this $ on something I cant look at.

Just started looking at xoticpc at a couple of the Asus/MSI models with potential.

13. What country do you live in? -----USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. ----

Main selling points:
i5/i7 Processor w/ VM support, i5-2520/i7-27xx and up I believe (not positive)
1600x900/1920x1080 screen, would prefer matte but not a dealbreaker
USB3.0 a must
HDMI out a must
Portable as possible
4+GB RAM (preferred but not required, RAM is cheap)
500+GB HD (preferred but not required, plan on using an external HD)
Fingerprint reader cool
No operating system needed

Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
Hello unboostedzc;

Take a look at the custom Sager NP5165 @ $879 from XoticPC.com
Core i5 2410M Sandy Bridge CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 LCD w/ GT 555M graphics.
Upgrades you might be interested in are the Matte LCD, Bluetooth and 500GB HDD. It's base price does not include Windows 7.

unboostedzc

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Thanks for the info, these were the two I were looking at.

I priced out a 5160 to pretty much what Im looking at:

Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HN
- 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) (Add's 4-7 business days to build time)
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- nVidia GT 540M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
- ~ 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
- No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay - When Selecting, Optical Drive is NOT Included
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- No Back Up Software
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- None Standard--
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- NO Spare Battery
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 3 Year Labor 1 Year Parts, Lifetime XOTIC PC 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Tech Support
- No Xotic PC Gear

$1083.00 + shipping.

I upgraded the LCD to 1080 w/ the new 95% gamut but considering going with the standard 1080p screen for $150 less. Ive seen the comparison thread but in terms of daily use is the $150 worth the upgrade? Also the gloss vs matte screens on these, how bad is the glare on the glossy vs the upgrade for the matte?

Im also contemplating the video card. Since Im not doing much gaming I feel the $70 upgrade to the i7-2630QM is a better investment than the extra ~$150 to go from the 540M to 555M GPUs.

If your photo/video editing is more casual than professional I'd say you're a good candidate to bypass the $150 95% screen.

Matte vs glare type screen. If you're working in an office/home office where you can control the lighting to suit your preferences while working the glare screen isn't a problem. If you have a difficult lighting environment where you have trouble controlling the lighting to reduce the glare effect a matte screen is more important in that scenario.

Being a very casual gamer I think like you do. The GT 540M is plenty of GPU for relaxed gaming while the quad CPU will be handy in heavy multi-tasking and video rendering jobs.

If you ask XoticPC will equip your laptop with a single 4GB stick of RAM so you're able to upgrade to 8GB total yourself. You can do that for about $40.

unboostedzc

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Thanks again WR2.

I ended up pricing the NP5165 with an i7-2630 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 LCD w/ 555M and upgraded wireless/bluetooth. Everything came out to $1,041.00+s/h and should be delivered in a week or so.