15 Android Phones Versus the iPhone 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... android phones have nice specs but no optimization and polish...[/citation]
You forgot to define a few terms:
Optimization = rejection of apps by Apple because they think the lack of them will "optimize" your experience with the phone
Polish = flashy animations with no function

Have you ever read Dilbert? You'd make a good Pointy-Haired Boss. He likes to throw around meaningless terms too =)

G

Every time I read any Andriod or Iphone article, there is perpetual comments from fans of either side! Then people throw out specs and numbers. Although I am technically aware, for the most part when I press an icon on my phone and it pops up and runs well that's all I care about. The iOS is very polished (call flashy animations useless or not) and works well. The 40 people I know with Iphone4's don't know what speed the CPU runs at or what GPU it has, nor do they care. It is a factor but until Angry Birds starts lagging, who cares about specs!!!

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]whocares4this[/nom]Every time I read any Andriod or Iphone article, there is perpetual comments from fans of either side! Then people throw out specs and numbers. Although I am technically aware, for the most part when I press an icon on my phone and it pops up and runs well that's all I care about. The iOS is very polished (call flashy animations useless or not) and works well. The 40 people I know with Iphone4's don't know what speed the CPU runs at or what GPU it has, nor do they care. It is a factor but until Angry Birds starts lagging, who cares about specs!!![/citation]

Judging from all the comments, there are plenty of people who care about smartphone hardware specifications. When it comes to mobile gaming, HD video, and taking photos and video, specs can be the most important factor in purchasing a new device.

-Devin Connors

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]There is still no 3G world phone on the market[/citation]

Except that there are...the Nokia N8 being the most notable

And according to this article "the iPhone 4 was the fastest smartphone for less than a month" even though it was beat by the Nokia N900 before it was even released.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I am so tired of this blind i-loyalty. This article makes iPhone like the king of all the phones, or all electronic products. It's everyone's freedom to choose what product they want. However, the blind loyalty is what really disgusts me.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]I am so tired of this blind i-loyalty. This article makes iPhone like the king of all the phones, or all electronic products. It's everyone's freedom to choose what product they want. However, the blind loyalty is what really disgusts me.[/citation]

Did you actually read the article? Did you see the image we put in of the Android bot cutting the apple in half?

Putting all of your posturing aside, the iPhone has sold tremendously well, both in the United States and across the globe. Apple recently revealed, in filings related to its ongoing lawsuit with Samsung, that the company has sold over 100 million iPhones since the product line launched in 2007. When it comes to sales numbers, that is damn impressive.

That siad, there are plenty of Android phones that equal or surpass the iPhone when it comes to hardware. THAT is what we address in this article. While the iPhone used to boast best-in-class hardware, such is not the case anymore because Android smartphones have caught up and surpassed Apple's offerings. Nowhere in this article do we declare that the iPhone is the greatest gadget or electronic product of all time...we simply credit Apple with selling a lot of iPhones while keeping the devices internal relatively potent. The iPhone will continue to sell extremely well, but we doubt it will ever have the best hardware available in a smartphone again.

-Devin Connors

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I know alot of people that have crapple phones and i have to say they are very easy to use and they love them about 50% of the time becuase the other 50% of the time they suck at what there designed to do and thats being a phone... everyone i know always drops calls and cant get a signal here or there so its a great tool for playing games and facebooking but when it comes down to making a call its like a 50 50 shot.. Thats the reason why i stick with my android granted the hardware in it is lackluster at best "htc Heroc" i have it rooted running gingerbread thanks to asop... and it does everything i need including make a phone call. and i will be looking at the HTC evo 3d very soon

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]wcooper007[/nom]oh yeah great article devin[/citation]

I'm glad you enjoyed the article, but please direct all salutations to Paul Escallier, one of our very talented freelance contributors.

-Devin Connors

htc3devo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The new HTC EVO 3D is has just been released in the US, I read about it in 3d phone review site, wow, this 3d phone has full 3D video capablities, 3D gaming, and its not much more then a exisitng smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.