17 inch or 14 inch laptop

Eksorczek

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I am a student incase you guys were wondering, alright so I'm gonna get straight to the point. As it turns out, I managed to find a great deal for me. I could choose a 17 inch laptop from Aorus, i7 6820HK with a GTX 1070, 3x 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD for $100 more than a Razer Blade with a GTX 1060 and a 1TB SSD. Which should I get? No, I do not have the desktop and I will not be getting one because I travel quite a bit, okay well not really. But whenever I do travel I do need quite a bit of power. I will not bother with putting a desktop in my luggage. Do not tell me, " Oh you should get a desktop because its cheaper ". Well the thing is that, its not relevant to the question. Do I need the computing power of a 1070? Maybe, I just find the pricing very attractive and that I want the computer to last as long as possible before needing to change it out due to it being outdated in terms of hardware.

Solution
It depends on if you need the power. 17 inch laptops have better cooling and better maintainability than 14 inchers. Also do you need the extra real estate? You can do more with a 17 inch laptop as you can open more programs at once than a 14 inch. Also for productivity software the extra screen makes a difference. I would also check the sound systems as 17 inch laptops have better sound quality as they can produce bass as they have the space for a subwoofer.

AgentTryHard

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Eksorczek,

Personally, I would pick the 17 inch laptop. Here's why:

I'm also a college student, and staring at a 14 inch screen would become very annoying over time. I use a 17 inch laptop and its even almost a bit small at times.
Also, having the 1TB HDD on top of the 512GB SSD is great. That way you can backup your important files and will have lots of room for games and other large files depending on your program. It would definitely be worth the extra 100$ for the amount of value you're getting! The difference between the graphics wouldn't be huge, but would be nice to have!

~Agent :)

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
A 17" laptop really isn't portable, it's too big. It might be good for gaming, photo and video editing, 3D Work...It isn't better for any daily tasks.
The 17" laptop sounds like a bargain, you should still take it over the Blade, but if you come around a similar bargain in a 14" package, I suggest you get that.

AgentTryHard

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

For sure,
I use a 17" which definitely isn't as portable. But when its your main computer, its really nice on the eyes for gaming and doing work. If i had to stare at a 14" screen while spending all day on an assignment I would lose my eyesight by age 30. Its just a question on how important is extra portability over easy of use and power.

~Agent :)

It depends on if you need the power. 17 inch laptops have better cooling and better maintainability than 14 inchers. Also do you need the extra real estate? You can do more with a 17 inch laptop as you can open more programs at once than a 14 inch. Also for productivity software the extra screen makes a difference. I would also check the sound systems as 17 inch laptops have better sound quality as they can produce bass as they have the space for a subwoofer.

Solution

Eksorczek

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Well the only issue in my opinion would be with the I/O. The 14 inch comes with thunderbolt 3 which might come in handy unlike the 17 inch which doesn't.

AgentTryHard

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

For sure but keep in mind there are always adapters. Make sure to focus on the bigger picture and long term. :)