17-Inch PS3 Slim Laptop Looks Tasty

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I don't think it can work as a laptop except as a novelty in this case. However, it does highlight a point I've often made about a marketing weakness that Sony can employ against Microsoft's 360 platform. Microsoft purposely prevents any kind of keyboard/mouse peripherals for the 360 because it doesn't want the 360 to compete directly with PC (i.e., Windows) sales. Sony should market the Playstation 3 as a sort of "alternate" version of a PC. It could run some basic productivity software along with web browsing, all while giving the user a top notch gaming experience on the same hardware. There would be a nice market there for people who are willing to spend $400 for a decent PC replacement and "civilized" gaming console with keyboard and mouse.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hmm...
Integrate a keyboard and have a wireless mouse.
Then use a 1920x1200 or a 1920x1080 17" screen. Then add a massive battery (even if only for a half hour or a hour of battery life).
Then sell me one. =D

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]agentjon[/nom]The guy that did this better patent the idea before Sony starts marketing a "Lan Party" model of the PS3. He can then sue Sony for millions for IP infringement.[/citation]

I don't think he'd be able to patent it, honestly. I think Sony would end up suing if he was able to, or maybe if he even tried to do so.

Then again, I'm not into patent law, so it's just a big guess on my part. /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.