17 Retro Games You Can Run on Modern PCs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i still go back to playing GTA and the original unreal tournament from time to time and i am on windows 7 x64. and UT still has servers out there.

Oregon Trail huh? i never knew there was a DOS version i only remember it being on the old apple II

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
You did not list the system requirements, I want to know if I will need to go SLI and over clock further, or just move onto ivy bridge and get a gtx 680

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I thought Commander Keen was a fun game :)

Since others have mentioned that lack of any mention of any of the games in the Wing Commander series, I'll mention another Origin game that I thought was excellent and played as well as Wing Commander: Strike Commander.

Come on, Tom's? Are you guys slackers? :0

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]radium69[/nom]Helllooooooooo Ricoooooo???What about!??!!?:DUNE II: The building of a dynastyX-WINGDESCENTWACKY WHEELSTERMINAL VELOCITYWOLFENSTEIN 3DHEXENHERETICDOOMWING COMMANDER?THE INCREDIBLE MACHINE?[/citation]
I could get X-wing to run on XP, not sure if it'll run on 7. But then that's was DOSbox is for.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
What?!? No Corncob 3D? And I'm not sure anyone's mentioned Raptor yet. Jetfighter 2? I remember a trick with JF2 where if you landed on the aircraft carrier, hook down, and full afterburner you'd go all the way off the other end of the carrier before stopping. But pull the hook up after you go off the other end and you'll take off again. After that you can put your hook down at any time and you'll come to a mid air stop (and stall). Usefull for cutting speed to put a chaser immediately in front of you.

G

GOG.com. Classic retro games, fixed to run on modern OS/Hardware, DRM free. Not quite ALL the classics, but pretty much everything I'd want (except the LucasArts ones like TIE Fighter, wish they could get those)

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]FREESPACE 2?AGE OF EMPIRES?...?....?....?[/citation]

I agree AOE is one of my favorites.

Hugs my 486 rig for dos era games.

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
DOSBox is a great program! I have installed and can play so many of my favorite games again. The ones I currently have installed are:

Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear Legacy
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Warcraft
Warcraft 2 (original Dos version)
Pagan: Ultima 8 (I have the full collection but 8 was my favorite)
Doom
Full Throttle

These were all great games, but without DosBox and making .iso files from the CD's I doubt they would ever run on Windows 7. I installed a Win 95 game called Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers under Windows 7 and it did run, but it ran so fast that it was uncontrollable. Since it was made for Win 95 it wont work under DOSBox so that program is still unusable. Still working on it though, it was too fun of a game to just drop it forever. Funny though, I installed and can run Diablo (Windows 95) just fine.
We are in an era of almost all games going better and better graphics yet the gameplay is seriously lacking. The games above weren't very pretty but the gameplay made them amazing. Funny, 7th Guest was considered to have ground-breaking graphics for its time, its a shame companies don't revisit these games and give them a facelift while preserving the overall gameplay.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]andywork78[/nom]Real nice guide.But there are emulator out there called "MaMe32"It's emulator for old $0.10 games back in 1992.You will love it. Classic games are still fun.[/citation]

It's called M.A.M.E. (Multiple Arcade Multiple Emulator), its designed to run old arcade roms. Its pretty ambitious, considering how many different setups and individual things it does emulate in order to make the roms run, and the other nice thing is more gets added all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.