17 Retro Games You Can Run on Modern PCs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Seriously: if you are going to make lists of related items, just say things like "x series" instead of inflating the numbers. There should be more games available

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Well they may be retro but some of them were no were near the best of them at least for me.

Of the top of my head at least for me:
Zork - Grand Inquisitor
Zork Nemesis
Wing Commander series
Kings Quest series
Phantasmagoria
Return to Krondor
Tex Murphy
Lands of Lore
Journeyman Project 3
Homeworld
Homeworld 2
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2

empstar

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
did some one play this DOS game before? Xenon (an air plane game like RaiDen) type xenon 2 megablast in wikipedia. i still have that game and can still play with it coz is a dos game.
bubble bobble(dos game) and Total Annahilation , red alert , unreal tournament , D1 & diablo2 , starcraft . i miss the game home world too.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
I have to say the lack of Elite in this list is disturbing... One of the earliest and best games to use 3d graphics. Elite+ for the pc is still a perfectly playable game (although I would recommend people use oolite the modern conversion instead).

contrasia

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Martell77[/nom]DOSBox is a great program! I have installed and can play so many of my favorite games again. The ones I currently have installed are:Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century CombatMechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear LegacyThe 7th GuestThe 11th HourWarcraftWarcraft 2 (original Dos version)Pagan: Ultima 8 (I have the full collection but 8 was my favorite)Doom Full ThrottleThese were all great games, but without DosBox and making .iso files from the CD's I doubt they would ever run on Windows 7. I installed a Win 95 game called Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers under Windows 7 and it did run, but it ran so fast that it was uncontrollable. Since it was made for Win 95 it wont work under DOSBox so that program is still unusable. Still working on it though, it was too fun of a game to just drop it forever. Funny though, I installed and can run Diablo (Windows 95) just fine. We are in an era of almost all games going better and better graphics yet the gameplay is seriously lacking. The games above weren't very pretty but the gameplay made them amazing. Funny, 7th Guest was considered to have ground-breaking graphics for its time, its a shame companies don't revisit these games and give them a facelift while preserving the overall gameplay.[/citation]

Just thought I'd mention, you can set the number of cycles down in DOSBox so games that run too fast can be slowed down to the appropriate speed. You should check the DOSBox readme on the different commands. There is no game I've encountered so far that's DOS based and couldn't be played perfectly in DOSBox. Even the Sound config can be rearranged to fix sound issues for any games that won't give the right sounds or any sound at all with the default config.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
There is a ton of excellent "retro" games and pretty much all of them can be played on modern PCs. This article/list is pointless...

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Even if Scorched Earth was a rip-off, I am pretty sure the originator was Bang Bang! for Windows 3.1, at least that's the earliest "use trajectory and velocity to blow up the other guy" game I remember. I would like to see any of the Tex Murphy games on here (only really played the 3D ones but I did download the originals from GOG, will get to them some day), loved those, and I heard they may be making a reboot!

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Ohhhh and I did see someone mention SimTex, Master of Orion was fun and to this day my Dad still relentlessly plays Masters of Magic, we have like 5 cd copies sitting around haha.

onzaa

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
TurboScanner HD ( Scan , Print and Share Multi-page PDF Docuemnts)
By Nexscience LLC. http://j.mp/DoxRdr
This app turns your iPhone or iPad into a handy scanner, fax or an air printer in your
pocket. It lets you scan high quality multi-page documents, print it to any AirPrint
capable printer in your wifi network, email it or save it to a document folder on your
device, post it to Google Docs or fax it to any fax number, directly from your
iPhone,iPad or iPod Touch. A highly useful app designed for individual or businesses use.
Download Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turboscanner-hd-scan-print/id464181313?ls=1&mt=8

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
You can use a program like D-Fend or something similar that sits on top of DOSBOX and has a built in windows GUI. It works alot better then trying to configure DOSBOX and doesnt require editing anything.

Ultima 7 has an available Windows helper that make the game playable on modern PC's and adds in features into the game.

There are also 3D FX emulators that are out there that will work with the games requiring 3D-FX to run.

Still think some of the best games are from the late 80's to the early 90s.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I remember an interesting little game that came out on floppy. It was called castle. you walked around this castle and you can use orders like "look desk" and the game would tell you what was on the desk. It was very interesting for its day. It played really well on an 8 bit ibm pc. It was some kind of freeware.

Status
Not open for further replies.