Question 17inch Laptop Purchase Help x

Jan 7, 2022
Hello all, I am new to laptops as haven't purchased one before. I currently have inherited an old 9 year old HP 15 inch Pavilion laptop with the specs of:

Processor
AMD Dual-Core E2-1800
  • 1.7 GHz
  • 1 MB L2 cache memory
Operating System Windows 8
RAM 6 GB (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB)
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7340 Discrete-Class
Screen type HD BrightView
Screen resolution 1366 x 768
Screen size 15.6"
Screen features LED-backlit
Hard drive 750 GB
Optical disk drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with double layer support
Memory card reader Digital media card reader
USB 1 x USB 2.0
2 x USB 3.0
FireWire No
Modem/Ethernet Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
WiFi 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth No
Video interface - VGA
- HDMI
Audio interface 3.5 mm
Expansion card slot No

I apologise but I have no idea how well this has dated or if it is good or bad but it says it can't update to Windows 11 so am looking to buy a budget 17. 3 inch laptop for a bigger screen size but unsure of what to go for. So far I have seen either an Asus 17. 3 with a Intel Celeron Processor at 1.1Ghz, Cache of 4 MB, and is with 2 cores and 1TB Hardrive or there is another one I've seen which is a HP one which has less RAM but maybe a better processor? with the specs of Intel Pentium Gold 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. I only need this for Web browsing and online working from home, running Excel and word documents etc. No gaming or anything flashy. This old 9 year laptop I have now is so slow to start up and is very slow in general opening and closing things but unsure if either of these two laptops I am looking at would be a noticeable improvement on this 9 year old beast? Any help would be really appreciated xx thank you xx

Jan 7, 2022
Yes sadly the budget makes it difficult :-(

The question being then with limited choice should I go with the Asus 8GB RAM and a 1.1Ghz Intel Celeron N4020 processor with a burst speed of 2.8GHz

Or....

HP Pentium Gold 7505 at 3.5 GHz Processor and 4GB RAM? I have read that Windows 11 really struggles with only 4GB RAM so would the 8GB RAM be better and compromise on the processor? The Pentium Gold Spec has a SSD hardrive where the other is a standard 1TB normal one Thanks again xx

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I wouldn't choose either of those systems. You would be better served saving a few more pounds and getting a system that isn't going to be as disappointing as these offerings.

You might be able to find a decent refurbished unit somewhere. I am not familiar with sites in the UK with such offerings. Do you?

By the way, is this where you are looking?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...x_ba00013937-bv00314274/299-499-criteria.html

Do you really need a 17 inch display?