1st generation iPad - can it run iOS7 or 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mon4ro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey, guys!

I still have my first gen iPad lying around and was wondering can it be updated to iOS6 or 7. They did discontinue the support so I reckon it is not possible without jailbreaking. My warranty's long gone and you can literally install NONE of the most important apps for me personally (Adobe Reader, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) so I was wondering if there is anyway in updating the device.

I have already jailbroken it and was wondering if I could somehow update it!
Thanks in advance, guys!

-mon4ro

Solution
I doubt it. The 1st Generation iPad is slowwwww. Just for perspective; the 1st gen. iPad has a SGX535 which is a 2 gigaflop GPU, the latest iPad air has a G6430 with over 115 gigaflops. The A4 chip is slow, and would be comparable to a $35 android tablet these days.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I doubt it. The 1st Generation iPad is slowwwww. Just for perspective; the 1st gen. iPad has a SGX535 which is a 2 gigaflop GPU, the latest iPad air has a G6430 with over 115 gigaflops. The A4 chip is slow, and would be comparable to a $35 android tablet these days.

Solution

mon4ro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Yea, that's what I was afraid of! Thanks for your input!

Gumbletron

Estimable
May 27, 2014
Hands down no. Even if you manage to manually install the software it probably won't even turn on without crashing. iOS 7 on my iPad mini even runs slow. Granted its jailbroken but still. If you want some of the features of iOS 7 I recommend jailbreaking it. Almost everything will be unsupported on your iPad. You should just get a cheap Android tablet.

mon4ro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks! It's too bad it's not possible. All I want is to be able to run stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other apps so it's too bad it's not possible with this device!

Big Terry M

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
I use the old m.twitter.com and m.facebook.com (the older versions for early smartphones) on my iPad 1 and they work fine! There are loads of "m." sites still around, perhaps give them a try! Just type m.twitter.com into Safari, and sign in! Facebook's the same, I don't do instagram, so can't suggest anything there!

Regards

BigTerry M

Caleb204

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

This helped me somewhat too. But I have a slight variation. I play clash of clans. It can be installed on iOS 5 but when I try to link it to my old game that was played on an iOS 8 device it won't allow it because of the older iOS. I don't see why since a new game can be started on iOS 5.
Is there a jailbreak to trick it to see the iPad as running ios7 or 8

lksh

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

I have the same problem. On your computer, get on iTunes and connect your iPad. ON THE COMPUTER.. click on the iPad, and go to the store there. It will let you download any application without the message about you ios. Then sync them. It will then on your iPad say do you want to update to the newest version and click no. The app will be a little outdated but they all work just fine for me :)

iosdev2001

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015

Note that this will only work if for your app of choice, there is an iOS5-compatible version available, which is really not always the case.
However, this is not Apple's fault because it is up to the developer to make sure the app is compatible with iOS5. Many features of later iOS versions are *not* essential for proper functionality, but it means a bit more preparation and testing work for the developer in the first place. Many younger developers just don't care, but many experienced ones do because it means more profit if the app can even run on an iPad 1, which can be the first criteria for purchasing the app if you either only own this one or if you just don't want to give your latest, expensive iPad to your 3-year old child for playing with it.

Junk__Email

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

How did you do that? My iPad 1 stops upgrading at 5,1,1

Jailbreak? if so, any link? Thx

Fecko1969

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

How do u update the iOS from 5.1.1 higher? I have done the jailbreak, just need help with the rest. Thanks.

bb____

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
How do u jailbreak and install the upadated version lady whatever i cant remember ur full name please email me instructions to [don't post your email address on the forum].. Trying to download games for my kids

vwatchrepair

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
I have a First Gen iPad Mini. It has become almost useless. I've done a restore on it, and installed minimal apps, yet it is still EXTREMELY slow. I really can't stand that OS upgrades have rendered what was a decent piece of hardware useless. Glad this is the only...and most likely the last Apple product I will own.

cereon12

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017

How did you update It to iOS 7? i'm trying to update mines to iOS 7 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.