2 lenses with different zooms or 1 lens with the complete zoom range

jmfrati

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I have 2 lenses for my Nikon 5500. I am fairly new to photography, and looking to have photography as a hobby. My intentions are to try any type of photography possible, specially Landscape, Portrait and Wildlife (but not limited to those). I have the following 2 lenses:

- Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II (Kit lens)
- Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR (bought separate)

I've seen that there is a Lens that covers the same range of zoom, the AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR.

I'm wondering if there are any benefits or any drawbacks of switching from these 2 lenses to just 1 lens. I was thinking that since the maximum aperture of the 55-300 is 4.5 and the one for this 1 lens is 3.5, just like the kit lens, then it would be of some benefit, but not sure if the benefit is enough to sell both of my lenses, which I'm guessing that what I'll get for both might be considerably not much as they are used, and would have to put at least half more to get the 18-300mm lens. I also thought of the fact of having just 1 lens to carry instead of 2 (thus saving me the hassle of having to switch if I need more zoom), but again, not sure if it is worth selling my current lenses and buying this one.

Solution
In general the greater the zoom range, the more optical compromises that will need to be made. The 18-300 is what is sometimes called a Disneyland lens. It is convenient if you are walking about a park and rapidly changing from wide angle to telephoto. It is not as good optically as the two lenses you already own.
If you are considering an upgrade to your kit lens, there are options which compliment your current telephoto. I find at least a little over-lap was handy. There is an excellent 18-140. If you want a better low light performance and better landscape shots, the 16-80 is expensive but very nice. The Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 - 4 is also popular.

bjornl

Estimable
In general the greater the zoom range, the more optical compromises that will need to be made. The 18-300 is what is sometimes called a Disneyland lens. It is convenient if you are walking about a park and rapidly changing from wide angle to telephoto. It is not as good optically as the two lenses you already own.
If you are considering an upgrade to your kit lens, there are options which compliment your current telephoto. I find at least a little over-lap was handy. There is an excellent 18-140. If you want a better low light performance and better landscape shots, the 16-80 is expensive but very nice. The Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 - 4 is also popular.

Solution