20 Free and Useful Windows Desktop Gadgets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karan Thakur

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I wanted to Download a gadget in which there is a small bar which contains our custom files and folders that we have and when we just move our coursor of mouse on them their size increses and we can open that application or folder by clicking on it ......can anyone help me finding the name of that gadget.........

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
It is, in fact, still possible to run gadgets on a fully-patched Windows 7, 8, or even 8.1. The excellent utility from called 8GadgetPack [http://8gadgetpack.net] restores gadgets to their place on the desktop, with or without the Vista-era sidebar "container." And Windows security Deb Shinder agrees with me that gadgets, despite the furor about security exposure that led to their dismissal from Windows 7 (which turns out to hinge on downloads of malware infected gadgets, not on vulnerabilities in gadgets themselves). I've put them back on all my Windows 7 and 8.* machines. Perhaps you should, too.

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I meant to identify the 8GadgetPack author in my preceding comment: it is Helmut Buhler, and while it is free, he does accept donations to fund maintenance and other development projects. I just sent him $5 using PayPal myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.