200,000 U.S. BitTorrent Users Sued

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
If i want to give something away for free i should be able to its mine. do you know how many people used to record movies on tv with vhs or how many people use a DVR. i mean this is stupid no dvd is worth 20$ and no game is worth 60$(at least not all of them)

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
What this is really doing is just clogging our legal system with a waste of time. The RIAA and the industry is spending more on fighting the file sharing than they are getting back for their effort. In addition to this the people who really want to steal are going to continue to do so. Maybe if they spent all that money on just providing a cost effective streaming service that offered new titles the day they are released on DVD or even better in the theaters there would be no need for people to steal. Seriously, it costs $15 to go see a movie in the theaters right now that is 3D. If I could just sit on my couch and pay $5 and watch the same movie I would be happy.

Think about this, how many people don't go to the movies because of the $15 price tag. If it was $5 they might actually sell more with less overhead in the expense to distribute the new movie and make a bigger profit margin.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
------ Why pirates benifit everyone ------

Everyone who legally buys stuff and says it's so cheap has the pirates to thank. If there were no pirate option the stuff would be double the price. the price is kept low only to put people off pirating. If they ever stamped out piracy price$ would double the next day.

file sharing has forced to music sites to broaden their catalogue in order to compete with the what the pirates offer. Rather than hard flog a limited range.

file sharing has increased the choice and reduced the price of legal films and music ( and has helped push the television catchup services we all enjoy)

remember there are very few movie studios outside of the big six - Sony, Comcast, Disney, Fox, Warner, Viacom/paramount

and over 80% of music is controled by 4 companies
Sony,Warner, EMI & Universal ( linked with comcast via "vivendi"),

this media oligarchy is ripe for market manipulation like collusive price fixing, non competition agreements and distribution fixing. Who regulates them in reality???

so far the best regulator has been the pirates.

So next time you see masses of choice at bargain prices remember who to thank.

helipro

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I don't understand why people say that America is screwed up. If you think freedom means the right to steal then you obviously don't know what freedom means. I am not going to say that the corporations in america are not greedy because they surely are but does that mean we have the right to steal what we want because we think we deserve their product for free? No, no it doesn't. While some of you think it is a good thing that countries won't back up their business' surely you don't understand that once it hits a breaking point business' will leave that country. Once this world figures out that freedom doesnt mean everything should be free the world might be a better place.

G

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but stealing is stealing. If you cannot afford you do NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO IT! How about you chose to just not have it then? You act as if this is not even an option! I am not for the agencies snooping where they don't belong, but it makes me sick, everyone of you who are justifying being a thief to "I don't have the money to buy it". Try that in court with a car: Defendant: "Your honor, I stole the car because I can't afford to buy a car this expensive, I mean who does Ferrari think they are making their car prices this high. They have no right to be so expensive so i stole one instead, you know, to advertise to others who might want one. I am doing them a favor!" Judge: "what tha.........GUILTY and in need of psychiactric eval". The state of America is not because of the governement, it is because of the people. Judge for yourselves if someone stole something from you with the excuse that they can't afford or they deserve to get it for free. Will you forgive them and let them have it? If so, where do you live? Or better yet, post your address please! Unbelieveable.

G

You know what drives prices down MORE than stealing (pirating)? NOT Stealing and not buying. Not having a movie or song is life or death to some of you it seems. You would have a very valid argument, possibly even to the point of stealing in some peoples eyes, if we were talking about food supply or clean drinking water, but we are talking about entertainment not a need. Grow up. The best way to drive down prices has ALWAYS been not purchasing (not stealing it instead either). Just good ol fashioned not having it. Also for the person who mentioned Microsoft expects (eluding that they want) people to steal their products to advertise to others is a lie. Any IT person worth their salt knows about technet subscriptions so for a VERY low price you can get any software microsoft has to offer for evaluation. They expect you to buy a membership (less than the price of Win 7 Ult) in order to have their permission to download and activate almost anything you want from server to Windows to Office etc. They have this so you don't have to steal it. Stop believing lies and perpetuating them in order to serve your own thieving interests. Lots of respect for those who recognize this as what it is even though you do it.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I hate to be the bearer of bad news but stealing is stealing. If you cannot afford you do NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO IT! How about you chose to just not have it then? You act as if this is not even an option! I am not for the agencies snooping where they don't belong, but it makes me sick, everyone of you who are justifying being a thief to "I don't have the money to buy it". Try that in court with a car: Defendant: "Your honor, I stole the car because I can't afford to buy a car this expensive, I mean who does Ferrari think they are making their car prices this high. They have no right to be so expensive so i stole one instead, you know, to advertise to others who might want one. I am doing them a favor!" Judge: "what tha.........GUILTY and in need of psychiactric eval". The state of America is not because of the governement, it is because of the people. Judge for yourselves if someone stole something from you with the excuse that they can't afford or they deserve to get it for free. Will you forgive them and let them have it? If so, where do you live? Or better yet, post your address please! Unbelieveable.[/citation]

dude just listen to the music charts. The biggest music theifs are the music industry themselves. Whenever a band or artist is successful. Half a dozen copycat acts/songs crop up.

and whats your line on truth. When a Film advert says or implies a film is really good and it's seen as rubbish by most people do the movie industry get sued for misleading people. nope . the customer is just expected to put up with it.

A the big difference between physical goods and digital goods like some software and most film ( although not music ) is that you can try ( or at least make a realistic assesment of ) the physical goods before you buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.