2014 Light Bulb Ban: Here Are Your Alternatives (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
What about the 100W bulbs? I found some great ones on ebay. They cost about $12.00 and have 103 of the 5050 LED and uses about 18-20W. I hate dim rooms :p

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The LED lasting claim of 10+ years is BS. If that were the case, they'd be warrantied for 10+ years. They know it's too much trouble to send a bulb in for replacement because of the turn around time. It's easier just to go buy a new one.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I have Cree LED bulbs all over the house (from Home Depot - 6W/550lumen 2700K, 9W/800lumen 5000K, 9.5W/800lumen 2700K). They work like a charm, the color's nice, and they're relatively cheap and efficient.

Geef

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
The price will most likely go down for LED once more people start buying them because of the new year coming and they can't buy old bulbs once they run out.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I support this ban, a lot of people complain about CFLs but haven't tried the new ones. You can choose the color temperature, whether it be harsh 5000K or warm white (2700K). If you are concerned about the size of them, you can buy 'mini micro CFL' bulbs that are very compact.
Concerned that they take a while to warm up? With instant on ones, they turn on at about 60% brightness and achieve over 80% brightness within a minute, 100% not long after. The old kind that is purple at first and takes minutes to warm up are low mercury kinds.
Yes please recycle these bulbs, collect them in a box or something. Take them to Lowe's Home Depot, Walmart, lots of places where they send them to recyclers.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Though the efficiency CLF and LED can't be ignore, in my experience incandescent bulb last longer. Though some LED lights I'd used did last longer but I didn't have anything to compare them with for its used. I don't know If this band includes all incandescent or just the house hold products? Otherwise I'd better figure out how fool my car light sensors or I'll have faulty massages all over if I had to switch it with LED. I do like these CLF and LED lights but they're too expensive compared to tungsten lights.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
People forget a interesting factor....incandescent lamps produce LESS harmful radiations than other types of lamps like CFL....and don't use mercury.

So, in this ridiculous quest to save the planet, that , no matter will be incenerated by the Sun anyway, not the mention the moronic fear of climate change when after all Arctic ice cap INCRESSED this year 50% in thicvkness (yeah, THAT CORRECT) we are poising ourselves with more nocive radiations and mercury (it's unavoidable that some CFL are broken when/where aren't supposed to be).

Usual FUBAR.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
PS:
This reminds me unleaded fuel and MTBE...and YES, its carcinogen.
In fact, MTBE is waaaay more dangerous to health than lead.

Again, more eco BS that put us in a worse situation than before.

orac4prez

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
The lifeof an LED or CFL is nowhere near the quoted figures. Our whole house hs CFL or LED lighting and even though many have been big name brands, the majority have failed in under 1 year. Maybe these big companies should actually do some field testing with the product sold in the shops by their manufacturing plants and not an engineering sample.

The colour and intensity drops of frightfully fast as well. Hate the crap they are forcing on us. I'll beleive the marketting hype when they offer a replacement guarantee on items that fail before 10 years of use!

lighthouse10

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Halogen types (72W for 100W etc) will be phased out anyway based on 45 lumen per W final rule (equating to CFL level) in Tier 2 of EISA 2007 law 2014-2017
Similarly Canada, which is adopting US law, and current EU and Australia etc legislation.

lighthouse10

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Overall, A strange law in banning a popular safe product for
electricity consumption reasons
(it's not lead paint! many alt ways to reduce consumption, eg
information /taxation/ market measures)
also given much actual consumption waste,
given that light bulbs don't burn coal or release CO2 gas (power plants might),
given many states have dominant low or emission-free electricity,
and given that incandescent use is basically small amounts of off-peak
evening-night surplus capacity electricity anyway ,
as per Dept of Energy grid data and institutional references:
http://freedomlightbulb.org

FAERGUS

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
CFLs are fine for filling a room with light but they are absolutely terrible for reading or when your eyes need to focus. For that you need a bright, point source light, like an incandescent filament. The only decent light sold today is a halogen bulb which has a tungsten filament. The halogen is there to scavenge tungsten as it vaporizes, allowing a hotter, brighter filament and whiter light. The damage caused to people's eyes due to the poor light produced by CFLs is phenomenal. The people that push CFLs belong in jail for their abject stupidity.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
AJSB

The sun isn't expected to incinerate the earth for a very long time. By that time, we may have technology to move everybody to safety, and even if not, it's so far away in time that there's not much point in thinking about it now.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
A great thing about CFL is you can put a higher lumen output bulb in a fixture that its incandescent rating which is based on heat. So if a fixture is rated for 60W bulbs you can install 100W CFLs.
Premature bulb failure is most often due to oxidized contacts in the socket, overhead fixtures that previously had incandescents installed most common. Loose or oxidized contacts at the wall switch or a switch that was installed using the quick connects instead of the screws can also lead to shortened bulb life.

Taranabas

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
@rwinches - loose or oxidized contacts in a switch or socket often leads to fire. The inductive nature of CFLs aggravates this problem. They are a huge fire hazard. There are insurance companies giving out discounts to clients to sign, pro.using not to use cfl lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.