2014 Light Bulb Ban: Here Are Your Alternatives (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smeezekitty

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
More government dictators that are ignorant to the real world banning without reason.
Incandescent bulbs are not significantly dangerous. The gov should not be banning things unless it is a genuine safety hazard

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Back when the L-Prize Philips LED bulbs were available, you had an option for a nice 940 lumen bulb at 10 watts. Of course they were expensive as heck and now they're not really available anymore... The current slightly inferior 830 lumen version is a lot cheaper though, and readily available.

mensamind

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Bans on bulbs, just like global warming, is only half my gripe. The real problem is the apparent majority who are brainwashed by "governmental science" into thinking it is necessary and real. Do your own thinking folks! Read NON-governmental sponsored science!

Phil_G

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
I've been using LEDs now for the last 5 or so years. Claims of 25000 to 50000 are far short of actual runtimes I'v e been experiencing. While some of have been running for 3 to 4 years so far, several (10 to 15%) have died in under 2 to 3 years. (I have ~40 units installed)

Such a high failure rate after so few years. (25000 ~ 11 years @ 6hrs/day, 50000 ~= 20yr) leads me to believe if they continue dying at the same rate, the average on the group will be far, far lower than the stated 25000 to 50000 hours.

I'd use the warranty as a rough guide. The cheaper bulbs have very short warranties an you should expect them to not last much longer than the warranty period. It seems like CREE is one of the few manufactures offering warranties that approach the stated 25000 expected lifetime.

wizbang_fl

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
@captainnemojr The bulb LED of the bulb will last that number of hours. The chips and processors which control the led bulbs are the failure point of these led replacements. As with most electronic devices they are the most susceptible to overheating and many of the cheapest cost LED replacement bulbs are often the same bulbs that reach very high temperatures during operation for more than an hour. Eventually this causes failure of the chips or processor and thereby the bulb also fails.

Ray_77

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I have replaced many bulbs in my home with LED's and am happy for the most part. Consumers need to realize that LED's are low voltage DC current and every replacement bulb has to have a driver or transformer. As far as live expectance the do last longer but most problems with then are cause by weak drivers. The drivers in smaller bulbs are difficult to produce and don't last. Our country is wired for 120 volt AC. homes could have dedicated power supplied for lighting only that would power LED lighting then the bulbs would be cheaper to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.