Question 2015 13" MacBook Pro Kernel Panics when waking from sleep

Nov 14, 2020
For some reason when I wake my Mac from sleep the screen is black and none of the buttons work. Eventually, I get to the "your computer has restarted because of a problem" then I press any key to resume startup. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

I have a link to the log here.

https://pastebin.com/djJrSa0T

I am on Big Sur and resetting SMC and NVRAM didn't help.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
For some reason when I wake my Mac from sleep the screen is black and none of the buttons work. Eventually, I get to the "your computer has restarted because of a problem" then I press any key to resume startup. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

Do you have any external hard drives attached or USB devices? If so try detaching them and test and see if it still happens. You should also try repairing Disk permissions with Disk Utility. If all else fails, back up your files and reinstall Big Sur.

Nov 10, 2021

I had a similar problem in the past with both my iMac Pro and a 16" Intel MacBook Pro, when connected via Thunderbolt to an external hard drive with a spinning disk. Whenever the computer would wake up from sleep it would go through a kernel panic and restart.

As I needed the external hard drive, the only solution I found was to deselect "Wake for network access" in System Preferences / Energy Saver.

This seemed to have been fixed either in Monterey or in a Big Sur update, unfortunately I'm not sure exactly when. I can't reproduce the issue anymore.

Nov 14, 2020
Do you have any external hard drives attached or USB devices? If so try detaching them and test and see if it still happens. You should also try repairing Disk permissions with Disk Utility. If all else fails, back up your files and reinstall Big Sur.
Nothing is plugged in and it still happens. Repairing Disk Permissions also didn't fix the issue.

Nov 14, 2020
I had a similar problem in the past with both my iMac Pro and a 16" Intel MacBook Pro, when connected via Thunderbolt to an external hard drive with a spinning disk. Whenever the computer would wake up from sleep it would go through a kernel panic and restart.

As I needed the external hard drive, the only solution I found was to deselect "Wake for network access" in System Preferences / Energy Saver.

This seemed to have been fixed either in Monterey or in a Big Sur update, unfortunately I'm not sure exactly when. I can't reproduce the issue anymore.
I don't have any external drives connected and it still crashes on Big Sur.