256GB laptop RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Are you sure you mean RAM or storage space? You can't even buy motherboards for that much RAM unless you get the super high end stuff - there's no hope of that in a laptop.

Okay...

Assuming you actually need as much RAM as possible on a laptop, then you need to realize that most laptops, if not all, only have two DIMM slots (memory slots). There may be a few that would have 4 DIMM slots (whether that is true or not, I don't know).

The highest capacity for laptop memory is 8GB per stick and costs about $230 per 8GB stick. Therefore, most laptops will max out at 16GB ($460). Laptops with 3 or 4 DIMM slots will max out at 24GB ($690) and 32GB ($920), respectively.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007635+600213066&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=381&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

If you need to have 64GB of RAM in a laptop, then you need to find a laptop with 8 DIMM slots. 64GB of RAM will cost you $1,840 for 8 x 8GB sticks.

'Cause he only has one post and it's possible he is a tech neophyte who doesn't know what he's talking about.

If he had several posts about the same issue / topic, then that will probably make him a troll. Or at least a very thick headed neophyte.

And you'll need a version of Windows 7 above Home Premium too.

You can get a notebook configured for you with 32GB of RAM.
An example would be: HP EliteBook 8760w Mobile Workstation

If you really do need a RAM address space of 256GB you'll also be needing to use Windows Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 as your OS.

Martin_net

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
A basic and obvious use would be to host multiple virtual machines with multiple server OSs. If that's the case, which is mine as well, as much ram as possible is key. More processor power would also be very nice, but I guess that would be harder to find.
I know that the newest Lenovo W530 laptop supports as much as 32gb of RAM, which is nice but also very expensive.

I don't think this guy is a troll at all. I think he's making a pretty legitimate question.

Status
Not open for further replies.