25GB lost space in my SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowman_93

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi guys, i got 60GB SSD in my desktop computer. Im using HDD for music, games and other programs. Not using SSD to much because the size is not big enough. But i got some problems about size of my SSD. When i click my computer, ssd's used space is: 50.8. but when i enter inside of ssd and select all files, the size is: 26.7......

Here the image: http://oi57.tinypic.com/bfqmon.jpg

How can i return this lost space?

Nots: Recovery is off. Hidden files is seen. Disk defraged, checkdisk completed with no error. Please help me :(

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
You are not including your Virtual Memory and Hibernation file. Those alone depend on how much RAM you have.

They are on there but are not considered "hidden" files but rather"protected system files".

There is a pretty good application called Space Monger. I think there is a portable version you can download and look at your drive. It will give you much more information than the standard properties.

A 60GB SSD is just enough for Windows, Office and maybe a few applications.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

It is actually a smart idea to kill hibernation even if you use it. For one, Hibernation causes more problems than it solves and a SSD with a normal BIOS boot is 20-30 seconds to desktop. Most systems maybe resume from sleep/hibernation in 10-20 seconds. I am willing to wait 10 more seconds for a better boot.

fa324

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
[strike]You can also disable System restore or at least set it to the minimum (1%, 600MB in your case)[/strike]
Windows 10 moves automatically the pagefile.sys to the HDD if the SSD is less than 128GB (at least it did so on my system and my friend's one)
You can move yours to the HDD from System>Change settings>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Change...

Anyway to see those hidden files uncheck "hide system protected files" from the folder options

EDIT: I just noticed that "Recovery is off"

shadowman_93

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

Man that was great idea!! Now i got +16GB free space after disabled hibernate off in cmd.

You are not including your Virtual Memory and Hibernation file. Those alone depend on how much RAM you have.

They are on there but are not considered "hidden" files but rather"protected system files".

There is a pretty good application called Space Monger. I think there is a portable version you can download and look at your drive. It will give you much more information than the standard properties.

A 60GB SSD is just enough for Windows, Office and maybe a few applications.
I got 16GB RAM in my PC and im using win7 ultimate x64. I'll try Space Monger now and let you guys tell whats going on in my SSD.

And after all i have unchecked the system protected files, here is the last size of my SSD: http://oi61.tinypic.com/2jcc0zm.jpg

Problem solved. But i got last question to you great guys, how can i reduce used space on my SSD, I got nothing installed(avast,drivers,ccleaner) on my SSD but got 40gb used space ? Little suggestions will be enough for me :)

skitszo

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
moving windows temp file to the mechanical drive/ moving your download file to the mechanical drive/ installing your installed browsers to the mechanical drive/ moving your desktop to mechanical drive.... stuff like that.

shadowman_93

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

I will move pagefile.sys to HDD, thanks for f*cking insane support!! I hope i dont get any trouble because of move this file.

fa324

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
Don't worry, Windows 10 does it automatically, win 7 wasn't designed to behave differently with ssd.

I wrote you how to do it in my second post, disable it from the ssd and let windows manage the size on the hdd.(you'll need to restart to make it happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.