Question Can't add ssd to my asus vivobook 17 X705MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurious george

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2016
I bought a new Asus vivobook X705MA off amazon.ca planning to insatll new m.2 ssd to this laptop to install windows on. It came with windows 11 installed on a 1TB HDDwould repurpose as storeage. But I opened when the laptop (not a new procedure for me) I could not find the M.2 SATA slot. I even removed the mother board to turn it upside down as 1 youtube showed it could on the bottom of the board. When I couldnot find it, I contacted Asus Support to ask them Where it is on the motherboard. The firs?t technician couldnot find and sujested I find a local technician to find the m.2 SATA slot. (Really) I'm asking asus as they should be the correct answer. I asked to Escalate this to the next level, The official answer I was then given was, there is no M.2 ssd slot this motherboard. The ASUS website Specs for my laptop using my Serial number say that thereare 2 slots, a 2.5 SATA slot and a M.2 SATA slot. Are they lying or are the technicians at asus ingnorant

COLGeek

Cybernaut

kurious george

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2016
I paid $442.57 CAD
Memory
8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM
Storage
1TB SATA 5400RPM 2.5" HDD

Expansion Slots (includes used)
1x DDR4 SO-DIMM slot
1x M.2 2280 SATA3
1x STD 2.5” SATA HDD

I/O Ports
1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C
2x USB 2.0 Type-A
1x HDMI 1.4
1x 3.5mm Combo Audio Jack
1x Headphone out
1x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
1x DC-in
3 in1 card reader SD/MMC/MS

Last edited:

kurious george

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2016
Ok, so It's expected that companies will Misslead consumers on thier Speciffication page and other advertisements. I did not know this. Ok, thank you for info it's good to know.
No big loss I guess, but buyer be ware.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023
I bought a new Asus vivobook X705MA off amazon.ca planning to insatll new m.2 ssd to this laptop to install windows on. It came with windows 11 installed on a 1TB HDDwould repurpose as storeage. But I opened when the laptop (not a new procedure for me) I could not find the M.2 SATA slot. I even removed the mother board to turn it upside down as 1 youtube showed it could on the bottom of the board. When I couldnot find it, I contacted Asus Support to ask them Where it is on the motherboard. The firs?t technician couldnot find and sujested I find a local technician to find the m.2 SATA slot. (Really) I'm asking asus as they should be the correct answer. I asked to Escalate this to the next level, The official answer I was then given was, there is no M.2 ssd slot this motherboard. The ASUS website Specs for my laptop using my Serial number say that thereare 2 slots, a 2.5 SATA slot and a M.2 SATA slot. Are they lying or are the technicians at asus ingnorant
Just get something like this while you can return yours. Although it is a 15in it's brand new and you can upgrade the ssd and the ram with the saved money and it's not used. (I know yours is used because Asus stopped making that model.) You can always take it out of S mode too.

https://www.amazon.ca/VivoBook-Pent...86-83fa-1947c8f2b48f&pd_rd_i=B09HN325SY&psc=1

kurious george

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2016
Thank-you for ALL your input. I opened it up and traded the 2.5 ssd back to the origional 1TB 2.5 hdd, While I was inside the laptop I turned the Motherboard upsidedown and No there is no M.2 sata as listed on the asus spec page for Vivobook X705MA, I even used the Serial number from my laptop. I'm doing a full restor now..... It turned out fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.