Question Asus VivoBook F510UA-AH51 won't run on battery after motherboard replacement

Jan 30, 2024
I'm working on my sister's laptop: Asus VivoBook F510UA-AH51 - The motherboard died so I replaced it.

The original board was:
ASUS X510UNR REV 3.0 A

The replacement board is:
ASUS X510UNR REV 3.0 B (identical except B vs A - I couldn't find an A board anywhere. Visually they are identical.)

It boots right up on the replaced motherboard and everything works fine on the new motherboard - but it won't run off battery. When I disconnect the charger it immediately dies. When I plug it back in and reboot the system - it still shows the battery at 100%. I don't think the battery is just immediately discharging - but it seems the computer just won't switch over to it.

Windows shows the battery is good, and powercfg /batteryreport also shows the battery is good (less capacity than when it was new, but good - see info below)

I reset BIOS to defaults and BIOS is already at the most recent version I could find (v310)

I removed the battery related items in device manager - rebooted, they got re-installed - no effect.

I double checked all the connections to the motherboard, all look good.

I held the power button down for 1min multiple times - no effect.

I have verified the charger and port are good - I get a good 19v on the motherboard from the charging port.

I swapped in a test hard drive and did a clean windows 10 install - same situation - battery seems good but won't run from it.

I can't figure what else to do. I ordered a battery just to try, but I don't think that's the issue.

Think this is just a faulty AC/battery switchover circuit on the replacement motherboard? Or is there something stupid I'm missing???
Some odd difference between the "A" version of the motherboard and the "B" version? I couldn't find any docs on that.

Thanks for any help.

powercfg /batteryreport output includes:

Installed batteries

BATTERY 1
NAME ASUS Battery
MANUFACTURER ASUSTeK
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY LIon
DESIGN CAPACITY 42,082 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 26,668 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 417

Jan 30, 2024
To update this thread - I put in a new battery and all works fine now.
I suspect it was one of three things:
A) The old battery died just by coincidence when replacing the motherboard
B) I somehow damaged the battery while replacing the motherboard
C) There was some sort of incompatibility between the old battery and the new REV 3.0 B motherboard.

My money is on C. A is highly unlikely and while B is possible - I was being very careful.
It was just odd that everything showed good with the old battery, it just wouldn't switch over to it.
Anyway - case closed :)