Question Asus UX305F won't start

Jun 25, 2023
I have an Asus Zenbook UX305F which is refusing to start under most conditions, and I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

If the battery is completely drained to the point that the laptop will no longer attempt to start (no lights come on), and I then connect the power adapter, the laptop will consistently start and load windows normally.

However, after this, if the laptop is shutdown or the lid closed, it won't restart again. The power and caps lock lights come on and stay on, while the F2 / airplane mode light briefly flashes just once. The screen stays black and then are no other signs of life (it's a fanless laptop with an SSD, so you never hear any noise out of it).

I've tried holding down the power button for 40+ seconds, which had no effect.
I've also flashed the latest BIOS version, which also doesn't seem to have done anything.
I've tried connecting to an external display, but that doesn't work either.
I've tried changing the sleep/hibernate settings to disable things like faststart etc.

It's got a fixed internal battery, so I can't easily remove it. Battery life is still fine though, so I don't suspect that to be the problem.

If anyone is able to offer any suggestions of how to fix the issue, I'd really appreciate it!
Does it sound like a hardware or software problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Jun 25, 2023
hi,

did you manage to sort your laptop out? im having the same issue with my zenbook.

regards
No, I'm afraid not.
I've changed the power settings so that the laptop never goes into sleep or hibernate modes, and just stays awake indefinitely (the screen still goes black when the lid is closed), which kind of solves the issue, but it can't be good for the battery etc.

It seems to be a common problem with these laptops - lots of other people have mentioned it on other forums, and some describe solutions that worked for them, but sadly none of them worked for me.

When I first had the issue, maybe a year ago, it was only intermittent, and replacing the video drivers with an older version from the Asus site seemed to fix it (may just have been coincidence), but it's recently started happening again, and now it's happening every single time, and installing different video drivers has no effect.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any solution!

Reactions: moesheik
Jul 5, 2023
No, I'm afraid not.
I've changed the power settings so that the laptop never goes into sleep or hibernate modes, and just stays awake indefinitely (the screen still goes black when the lid is closed), which kind of solves the issue, but it can't be good for the battery etc.

It seems to be a common problem with these laptops - lots of other people have mentioned it on other forums, and some describe solutions that worked for them, but sadly none of them worked for me.

When I first had the issue, maybe a year ago, it was only intermittent, and replacing the video drivers with an older version from the Asus site seemed to fix it (may just have been coincidence), but it's recently started happening again, and now it's happening every single time, and installing different video drivers has no effect.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any solution!

mine is a new laptop, as long as i don't close the lid it powers on with or without the charger plugged in, once i shut down and close the lid it wont power on unless the charger is plugged in, i adjusted the lid close settings but no luck, upgraded the bios did a hard reset. and ASUS support seem clueless.

TimSteve

Banned
BANNED
Jun 22, 2023
I have an Asus Zenbook UX305F which is refusing to start under most conditions, and I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

If the battery is completely drained to the point that the laptop will no longer attempt to start (no lights come on), and I then connect the power adapter, the laptop will consistently start and load windows normally.

However, after this, if the laptop is shutdown or the lid closed, it won't restart again. The power and caps lock lights come on and stay on, while the F2 / airplane mode light briefly flashes just once. The screen stays black and then are no other signs of life (it's a fanless laptop with an SSD, so you never hear any noise out of it).

I've tried holding down the power button for 40+ seconds, which had no effect.
I've also flashed the latest BIOS version, which also doesn't seem to have done anything.
I've tried connecting to an external display, but that doesn't work either.
I've tried changing the sleep/hibernate settings to disable things like faststart etc.

It's got a fixed internal battery, so I can't easily remove it. Battery life is still fine though, so I don't suspect that to be the problem.

If anyone is able to offer any suggestions of how to fix the issue, I'd really appreciate it!
Does it sound like a hardware or software problem?

Many thanks in advance!
I guess you've tried some troubleshooting steps like flashing the latest BIOS version and adjusting power settings, it's possible that the problem lies with the hardware components. It could be a faulty power supply, motherboard issue, or even a connection problem. If you're comfortable doing so, you may consider checking the power supply and its connections, as well as any other internal components that you can access.

Jul 5, 2023
I guess you've tried some troubleshooting steps like flashing the latest BIOS version and adjusting power settings, it's possible that the problem lies with the hardware components. It could be a faulty power supply, motherboard issue, or even a connection problem. If you're comfortable doing so, you may consider checking the power supply and its connections, as well as any other internal components that you can access.
just returned it requested a exchange, even they cannot figure whats going on, i did a bios update, driver update, power management settings and nothing worked.

Reactions: TimSteve