Question ASUS Vivobook S15 from 2018 stopped working all of a sudden!

Jul 12, 2023
hello!

Earlier today my sturdy Vivobook S15 completely stopped working. Almost on AC 24/7 and has been a real workhorse so he can deserve some issue a bit... 5 years.

Anyway, was dong some Windows10 updates, had to restart, then went to black screen.... left it there for a while.... a long while, tried hard reset with button and nothing happens, no ASUS logo (in search of incredible), no boot screen, nothing nada.

What i tried:

1. Static discharge: opened it, unplugged battery from motherboard, power button for 40-60 seconds, put it back, plugged AC, nothing
2. Removed RAM, put it back, nothing
3. Removed SSD, tried to turn it on (should still boot right?).... nothing
4. Tested with battery disconnected and only AC, nothing

There is no light on the screen, power light goes on, CPU fan spins, there's power from the USB ports so that's quite bizarre indeed. I installed a battery from GreenCell and it was getting to 30% wear so that one was also old but it should still work!

Could it be the tiny but annoying CMOS battery that needs replacing? I've read that if that one is gone, it can prevent booting and other weird issues.

It went like this all of a sudden, no previous signs of failing, or losing the time, etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
thanks a lot

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Could it be the tiny but annoying CMOS battery that needs replacing? I've read that if that one is gone, it can prevent booting and other weird issues.
Could be, but I doubt it. Try removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out for 30 mins or so and then put it back. If that doesn't work, try replacing it. If none of that works, you're likely running into more serious issues like the motherboard kicking the bucket. If possible, you might also want to test your RAM and SSD in a different computer to ensure all those are actually working.

Jul 12, 2023
Could be, but I doubt it. Try removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out for 30 mins or so and then put it back. If that doesn't work, try replacing it. If none of that works, you're likely running into more serious issues like the motherboard kicking the bucket. If possible, you might also want to test your RAM and SSD in a different computer to ensure all those are actually working.
thanks, i cannot seem to find it, bringing it today to a repair shop, could very well be the motherboard as well. so bizarre man.

i've removed the SSD and still doesn't even give the ASUS logo, should give boot failure yeah? nope!

even swapped an old 4GB ram i have floating around last night, same.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
thanks, i cannot seem to find it, bringing it today to a repair shop, could very well be the motherboard as well. so bizarre man.

i've removed the SSD and still doesn't even give the ASUS logo, should give boot failure yeah? nope!

even swapped an old 4GB ram i have floating around last night, same.
All signs are pointing to a larger issue. Taking it to a shop is likely your best bet. Kudos on at least trying to fix it yourself though. 👍

Aug 3, 2023
eh yeah, it's in surgery now.....
Hi, do you have the laptop back? What was the problem? I have the exact same issue with exact same laptop and tried the same things but failed every time.. so what did they tell you?

Jul 12, 2023
Hi, do you have the laptop back? What was the problem? I have the exact same issue with exact same laptop and tried the same things but failed every time.. so what did they tell you?

hi Winchi,

Unfortunately i have bad news. The hardware guy tested things and said it's the Motherboard gone so i had to put him to ⚰️. I took out all the components and everything and using them elsewhere.

Mine worked for 5 years like a true work horse, even mining at times, etc.... I had a battery also soldered differently for 2 years since the original connector broke. I think it was a power thing that blew it up.

Only suggestion i can give you if you want to keep it going is looking for a spare one on ebay, although it will also likely be few years old.....and not sure it's worth the €€€.

Gabrio