26 Keyboard Shortcuts To Memorize Today

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think that the majority of those are common knowledge. The only ones I didn't know were the Windows 7 ones and Windows+D. And as mentioned Ctrl+Z is one of the main ones missed. On another note, I use Ctrl+F5 all the time, it refreshes your browser, clearing the cache for that page. Very useful for web development.

mareich

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Many, if not most, of the Mac OSX substitutions are incorrect. For example, the task switcher is activated with Command-Tab, it does not switch to another tab within the browser. That's CTRL-Tab, just as in Windows. Did you actually try these on a Mac?

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Hey mareich, Rico here. You're right. Ctrl+Tab is still works the same way on Mac OS X as on Windows and Linux. I've made the necessary corrections. They should appear once the site's cache refreshes. Feel free to point out any errors, and thanks for the support! :)

G

Ctrl + Left Arrow - move the cursor to the beginning of a word
Ctrl + Right Arrow - move the cursor to the end of a word
Ctrl + Shift + Left Arrow - select the word to the left of the cursor (cumulative)
Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow - select the word to the right of the cursor (cumulative)

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Umm... is it just me or should "Ctrl+Alt+Esc" be "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" to access the task manager? Or are all of my PCs messed up? : P

tipilon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for these shortcuts. But it seems that you missed a lot of them as per this cheatsheet:
http://darktips.com/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts/

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
In your browser (don't about IE, I never use it) you can simply use your Middle Mouse Button (click the mouse wheel) to open something in a new tab, instead of using Ctrl+Click.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
#7 is the biggest reason why I hated Windows 8. In Windows 7, it searches programs, settings, files, media, all on one screen. Windows 8 adds unnecessary steps to the process.

G

Clicking on URLs with the middle mouse button (aka the wheel button) opens the link in a background tab in most tabbed browsers.

G

its very informative, these are the very popular form of shortcut.... nice selection dear thanks for sharing....

Regards,
Berry

G

It's ctrl+shift+escape to bring up task manager on mine. ctrl+alt+escape seems to cycle through open programs.

G

I've yet to disable my windows key for gaming, but I have remapped F4 so I can use alt-F4 for a gaming-hotkey

salh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Ctrl click? Seriously lol
The scroll wheel (or even the button in the middle) has been there since the 90s, it's much better

Status
Not open for further replies.