27% of Ouya Owners Have Purchased Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
How many did ouya itself (the hardware) sell on the first day? You forgot to mention that. You're comparing software sales (or lack of them) to hardware sales of phones/tablets?

Were that any games that sold 300,000 copies on the first day of iphone/ipad sales? I doubt it. So software sales on iphone/ipad suck too then? I hope you guys get the point. Please don't write another ouya article until next year. Until then you're wasting out time.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
If game players don't pay the game developers then don't the advertisers pay them instead?

Anyway the OUYA is going to be killed by Android consoles and Android TVs because it isn't an Android console itself; it's only Android-based.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
A better first day sales comparison would be to the original ipod, vs. the iphone or ipad which were already building on the market established over years of ipod sales.

That said I'm one of the 73% who have not purchased a game, and not sure that I ever will. Plex client is working fine though and I'm looking forward to seeing progress on the xbmc build that includes hardware video decode (previous stable version works great but can't handle high bitrate HD with just software decode)

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
"Monetization on Ouya is so far better than we expected" - Expectations must have been INCREDIBLY low.

I'd be curious to see financials and see how much of that nearly $10MM is sitting in something like a cash reserves account.

I'm amazed you guys are still trying to find a reason to defend this debacle.

G

Thats awful if you are comparing it to consoles, which seeing as they are for games should be 100%. Of course I know some people who bought an Xbox as a media centre but at the very worst 90%. The games on Ouya are so much cheaper too, this could become a problem for them

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
It's really frustrating to watch everyone write off the Ouya just because, with its small userbase and barely having been released, it isn't pulling figures like the massive consoles already in the market.

Then all the negativity puts more people off and the project is dead before it even begins.

I question your intelligence, people. Do you not WANT a viable competitor to the established big brands?! Use your heads.

Moreover, crappy Android games aren't going to cut it on a console. More quality indie titles, and AAA titles, are what this console needs.

As it is, I am tempted to get one (lacked the cash back during Kickstarter, at the time) but would predominantly use it for XBMC as I game on PC and don't care for "portable" games.

I would totally use it with emulators as a retro 10-in-1 console though. Emus are available in the Ouya store, I believe. You know what would be awesome? If they released USB "adapters" so people with their old discs/cartridges could plug them straight in without having to source ROMs. Food for thought.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
OUYA should not be encouraging emulator usage because its obvious they are trying to benefit from illegal parasitic behaviour. However it also is ridiculous that game developers don't immediately rerelease all those old games for all capable platforms.

smakadopolis

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Also an unfair comparison, the iPads and iPhones were done with Apples own OS, and software. They(apple) were't using some half baked idea of tossing a layover on someone else's operating system and allowing a controller to be an interface mechanism, and calling it something ground breaking. This idea isn't revolutionary, nor is it seemingly perfecting anything. They're not re-inventing any wheels, they're just trying to market a wheel in motion. (I'm beating the dead horse at this point)

It's like comparing a golden apple, to a rotten orange. No word play intended.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
If I was a program developer, I would make an Android version and would refuse to make an OUYA version because they are stupid jerks for not making it an Android device. Don't buy OUYA; buy Android devices instead.

Hopefully Steam games will start adding Android support soon, now that the devices are getting powerful enough and joypad support is being encouraged.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
@ somebodyspecial

27% of people who own a console designed for gaming have purchased a game. Meaning 73% of console owners have not. That's abysmal. Don't compare OUYA to phones/tablets; it's a different segment all together. That's pretty much what you have used for months in arguing why OUYA will succeed (because it is not a phone or tablet).

Plus, while OUYA has access to the play store apps, it has its own game/app ecosystem separate from google play. The fact that only 1/4 of the owners have purchased a game is a very, very poor indicator.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
@teh_chem

What are you saying? OUYA is compatible with Android apps that are not games? From what I understand, OUYA is not compatible with Android. Or are you saying OUYA is compatible with both OUYA apps and Android apps? Is it compatible with Android apps only if you do some sort of hacking? Actually, I think they deserve to fail just for being so annoyingly confusing.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
@IndignantSkeptic Sorry; what I I meant was that you can easily side-load standard android apps on OUYA. Other than not providing direct access to the google play store, there isn't much preventing anyone from side-loading non-OUYA-store apps onto their device and bypassing the OUYA store all together. Just need a file manager and a way to get the apk's.

When I (foolishly) had a Kindle Fire HD (also runs off and Android kernel), it is incredibly easy. Need an app back up tool (like Astro file manager) on your standard android device. Download the dropbox apk. Install it on the OUYA (or KFHD in my case). Put app apk's you want to install into your dropbox from your phone or tablet, then install them directly from the dropbox app on the OUYA.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
@teh_chem

Ok what you are talking about, kind of sounds like mild hacking or at least exploiting. In any case, it sounds like a very annoying hassle to learn and implement for end-users. Plus even if they do that, it's possible the Android joypad code will not be compatible with the OUYA joypad and OUYA might prefer it that way. This means OUYA players will be left having to play Android games using only the touchpad of the joypad which would be incredibly annoyingly difficult unless they use some potential hacking which would also be a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.