3D Printer Could Build a Church (or Moon Houses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I had read about this in Popular Science awhile back. If these things can be made in such a way that mother nature tends to break things (earthquakes, rain, snow, ice, hurricanes, etc etc...) and lay down material as strong as reinforced concrete, then why the hell not! The sky's the limit. Now just have to figure out how to get the re-bar into the structure... I guess they could just make a mold, then pour the concrete inside.

Looks like my dreams for an evil lair are going to come true after all... Now I wonder if he can print out sharks with lasers on their heads.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]I had read about this in Popular Science awhile back. If these things can be made in such a way that mother nature tends to break things (earthquakes, rain, snow, ice, hurricanes, etc etc...) and lay down material as strong as reinforced concrete, then why the hell not! The sky's the limit. Now just have to figure out how to get the re-bar into the structure... I guess they could just make a mold, then pour the concrete inside.Looks like my dreams for an evil lair are going to come true after all... Now I wonder if he can print out sharks with lasers on their heads.[/citation]

I know that the evil lair feeling. I wonder if he could design one to be put in a volcano.
Lava nice day...bwhahaha.

And I'd damn well say that if I had a volcano lair. Corny or not.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Interesting, but why would we try to create housing estates in an unsustainable environment. Furthermore why not choose a poor 3rd world country as a demonstration platform for this project instead of the moon? It's not as romantic, but at least it would be good for something.

So many problems with the world we're living in and we choose to solve hypothetical ones.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Students at Arizona Stat University here in Phoenix get to work with an enclosed 3D printer. They've come up with some very unsual stuff.

TheOnlyPenguin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I have used 3D printers to make prototypes of projects here at Mich. Tech. There are different kind of "sands" you can use, all seem to be white tho, some are ceramic based and you can prototype molds for casting. Zinc works quite well b/c of its lower melting temp so there are some limitations, but this might spark new "sands" to be created for this kind of work.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]We shall find out the first time it rains[/citation]
I don't think there is rain on the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.