3rd generation iPad and Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Objectivity, a dying art

Picked up the new Pad this AM at the Apple Store. I'll spare you iPad opinions as you've undoubtedly heard enough. We did have a lot of fun this morning in line, however. Happy shoppers are a fun crowd. The above linked article is another nice one from PC World on the new iPad vs. the top Android tabs...it seems rather objective which is becoming very rare (hint-hint). I think the competition will quickly catch up and I hope Asus corrects it's quality issues in both the TFT-201 and the upcoming TF-700. It'll also be quite interesting to see how Windows 8-based machines stack up.

My question is with the resolution of the new iPad's screen being what it is I'm wondering why it took Apple to do this first when there are so many others competitors. I'm not an Apple fanman but I'd like to know the reasoning behind that. I'd say most would probably agree upon auditioning the new display that it makes a dramatic difference for the better. I know from personal experience that Asus has an issues with display defects in their Transformer Prime that I just don't understand the reason behind.

Objective thoughts?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Increasing the number of pixels on a screen increases the amount of work a GPU needs to do. They didn't want their 3d games looking weak next to their competitors just because they had a higher screen resolution. Apple waited till they had a version with a sufficiently powerful GPU to make the loss in performance worth it. Shame they didn't do a little more on the CPU side of it though.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Thanks for the feedback you two. I get a little frustrated when I feel like some companies cut corners in quality. However, I know compromises have to be made. Yet Samsung chooses to make its phones and tablets with plastic casings when I think it's pretty much a consensus that metal is viewed as higher quality. ...it's little things like that that drive me crazy. ...at least Asus finally realized at least that much.

kellywilliams0448

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

I guess you don’t have to put the blame all on Samsung Electronics. May be the company is trying to follow the “utilitarian strategy” which focuses on the masses opinion as the best. In this light, I think consumers are the one to determine the kind of products they like based on the style, design, quality materials and even the price. So if Samsung is using plastic materials, perhaps they have seen many consumers complaining about the weight of the set product.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Hmmm...so there's people that would rather have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 than an iPad 3rd Gen. because the Galaxy Tab is insignificantly lighter because its got more plastic in it. That's interesting.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

Personally I agree to an extent. I own the IPAD 3 and have held a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it feels much lighter but the build quality feels cheaper. But if both were dropped I'm quite sure the Galaxy Tab would take more force before it smashed. It's lighter and would seem to absorb the shock better.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and I've dropped it twice, I'm very sure if it would have been an Iphone I would be phoning my insurance for an accidental damage replacement. Personally I prefer the Galaxy Tabs lightness over the Ipads quality but heavier feel. But I went with the IPad due to the better GPU (It would seem) and Apple seem to have better application support. It does seem that things cost alot of money on the app store but I wait for sales. Just picked up Dead Space for Ipad for 69p (Think thats about 99 cents).

Both IOS and Android have their advantages, right now I'd take IOS for a tablet and Android for a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.