4-Port Adapter Shoots 500Mbps Over Electrical Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I could actually use something like this. Too many wires as it is from the kitchen to all the rooms, and wireless adds another 5-10ms latency on top of what our wired already gets.

We actually do use this technology in our house already, but only for the foxtel.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
so can someone answer me? I only just found out about this. Does this require an internet connection, or paid monthly subscriptions? Do we get free internet, this left me confused.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
ohwait just understood this with the animation lol. dont really see any real important use for this in households. A strong router is cheaper and most internet tvs are wifi enabled. Also 5-10ms lag is nothing.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
We have one of these things rated for 200mbps in our house (built within the last decade, so modern wiring) and it only gets maybe 8mbps (1 MB/s) on a good day, and on average half to a third that (often just barely out pacing the internet connection). Best just to save your money, and spend the extra time to go for the real deal and gigabit network your house (gigabit switches and cat6 are dirt cheap anyways nowadays).

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
These have been around forever, and, like always, the performance will be dismal compared to the advertised specs. Sure, it's capable of 500mbit if the outlets are 5 feet apart. Back in the day, they'd advertise 200mbit, and would usually get about 10% of that in actual use. And with advances in wireless, i wonder how viable this really is in today's market.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
oh if u would integrate this in to the electrical grid would that be a real smart grid? is this the future? AC bring the internet in, maybe DC for high speed home networks because of the solar and wind power thermal and what ever will be the source...

abrunet

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
No its not hard to run cat5, but sometimes you can't run cat5. New homes are usually all dry walled including the basement making running any wiring in your home almost impossible. Also not everyone is lucky enough to have great wireless signal across their whole home. There are a lot of factor to consider about wireless issues.

These devices have come a long way from when they first came out, as an ISP employee I can see the how these devices would be quite useful if you deploy a triple play service. Imagine how quickly you can turn up multiple set top boxes in a customers house and all set top boxes would be doing home dvr.

Now that's if they actually work correctly. I've tried a few of the Netgear and they do work. But don't get me wrong cat5/6 is always the preference.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've been using a kit like this for years. Granted the speed isn't that high, but what I have now is enough to pwn at BF:BC2 and stream 1080p content from across the house.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
As misterg said, it is theoretical speed SO it sucks just little less than the old brothers rated at 200. Not sure why I got thumbs down. I know truth hurts.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
One point of view that I forgot to add,was that you'll need extra power sockets around your house,unit etc. Every body knows that most power sockets are taken up already & in most homes they just install enough power sockets in your home when they make the house.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]abrunet[/nom]No its not hard to run cat5, but sometimes you can't run cat5. New homes are usually all dry walled including the basement making running any wiring in your home almost impossible.[/citation]

It is not that hard. Run the wires through the ceiling, and fish them through an outlet in the wall.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]It is not that hard. Run the wires through the ceiling, and fish them through an outlet in the wall.[/citation]
Not all houses are the same, running cat5 can be very hard depending on the house. Plus not everyone has the time, patience or the skill required to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.