$400 laptop for use with Elgato GameCapture HD

flamefire999

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
1. What is your budget? $400- $500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 720p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? In the middle but more towards desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need? 3-4 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes. I want to play Minecraft, CS: GO, KSP, LoL, Dota 2, The Sims 4, Unturned, DayZ, Terraria, Oblivion and Skyrim. Medium on Skyrim and high on everything else.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Record my console game play with Elgato Game Capture HD (it uses a lot of CPU), record my iphone 5C with AirStream, Light Photoshop, Video editing and programming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1tb 7200rpm.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD writer/Rom

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No Dell laptops.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'm looking for a laptop because I like to lounge around watching videos and I also like to bring my laptop with me to my friends house. I need an HDMI output so I can connect to my TV to watch streams and such. I also like to use a mouse (my uncles old Razer Deathadder 2013) because I hate trackpads so I want 3 USB ports.

Solution

If someone was looking or a "gaming" laptop, anything under $1,000 or so would be a compromize. When most people reply "you need to spend 1,000, 1,200 etc.. on a gaming laptop" they mean that to be able to actually install a game and not worry about tweaking settings much to get good frame rates on it. Any system with an i5 CPU and at least 4 gig of RAM should be OK for you. Asus and Lenovo are the top laptops I would look at.

flamefire999

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

So the thing with that CPU is that it is only 1.3ghz. That's not fast enough to record with Elgato. I know because that's how fast my current laptops CPU is and it can't record at all. Also I don't know where you got "gaming" from because this would be a really bad gaming computer. This has about the same specs as my laptop now and it can't really play games.

zeyuanfu

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014

If you don't play games on the laptop, a 300$ one would suffice.

flamefire999

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I would like to be able to still somewhat play games on low settings. And you don't need a $1000 laptop to play games by the way. And the problem with the elgato is that it needs a pretty good CPU. I have a $300 laptop and it doesn't work.

zeyuanfu

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014

Just so you know, mobile CPUs are WAY weaker than their desktop counterparts, so a laptop i7 might be equal to a desktop i5 or maybe even a high-end i3. They also have a very low clock rate.

If someone was looking or a "gaming" laptop, anything under $1,000 or so would be a compromize. When most people reply "you need to spend 1,000, 1,200 etc.. on a gaming laptop" they mean that to be able to actually install a game and not worry about tweaking settings much to get good frame rates on it. Any system with an i5 CPU and at least 4 gig of RAM should be OK for you. Asus and Lenovo are the top laptops I would look at.

Solution

flamefire999

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Do you have any recommendations?