42-inch LED HDTVs to Drop Below $400 Mark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]phate[/nom]Is the weak demand really due to the economy, or the fact that everybody and their brother already has a flat panel TV? Of course panels fail and some people wait to upgrade / can't afford it. But I wonder when do we shift the blame from the economy to market saturation. Oh well I suppose it's not truly saturated until I have a 65 in the living room, a 24 in the kitchen and a 42 in the bedroom...[/citation]
Manufacturers aren't going to admit that market saturation is the cause of weak demand. It's easier for them to blame the economy because everyone knows the economy is crap still....plus, they don't want to admit that there's no justification for buying a "new model" TV if you already own an LCD/LED TV.

But....the manufacturers screaming that it's the economy, is very much like Sharp claiming than their "Quattron" TV's produce truer colors than their competition.....it's all pure BS.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]phate[/nom]Is the weak demand really due to the economy, or the fact that everybody and their brother already has a flat panel TV? Of course panels fail and some people wait to upgrade / can't afford it. But I wonder when do we shift the blame from the economy to market saturation. Oh well I suppose it's not truly saturated until I have a 65 in the living room, a 24 in the kitchen and a 42 in the bedroom...[/citation]

under 100k a year household here, we have 1 48 inch plazma, that is dieing, 1 21 inch 1920x1200 and 1 24 inch same resolution smaller one doubles as a tv, a 36 inch 1080p tv, 2 27 inch crts, a 24 inch 1080p.

the crts are for old games and tv, as i dont have an hd box, and sd on an hd looks like crap. and as for games, i love lightgun games.

[citation][nom]Area51[/nom]Out of curiosity, are you driving your model T still because you are waiting for flying cars?[/citation]

are you mocking him because he has everything he needs and is thinking of waiting till the next real advancement comes?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Manufacturers aren't going to admit that market saturation is the cause of weak demand. It's easier for them to blame the economy because everyone knows the economy is crap still....plus, they don't want to admit that there's no justification for buying a "new model" TV if you already own an LCD/LED TV.But....the manufacturers screaming that it's the economy, is very much like Sharp claiming than their "Quattron" TV's produce truer colors than their competition.....it's all pure BS.[/citation]

BRAVO

i got an LG 42 inch @60hz , 1080p LCD last year durring black friday sales for 500 bucks now every one harps on "you need 120 hz" , or "oh you need LED cos it has better blacks" , or "you should get a new 3d TV it's better" , or "check out my quattron" crap.. adn its all jsut pure unadulterated , grade A BULLSHIT.

and here are my reasons why it is

1. my LG is an LG not a fu--ing Vizio or crap brand , it's blacks are awsome and it has shit loads of adujustments if i want "blacker" blacks

2. 60 hz is fine for any tv at 42 inch or smaller if it is a deccently built brand. on my 42 i see no ghoasting form low refresh rate, no wierd artifactsa dn motion of an object across the screen is pefect. 120 hz refresh is only good for 50+size tvs

3. 3d sucks , especially for me because i'm bassically blind in my right eye , there for NO 3d technology every works for me i just see double images .. how cool is that ??? even if 3d did work for me WHY the f--- would i want to wear stupid bulky glasssed on top of my prescription glasses that are already bulky themselves ... every time i watch tv. No thanks.

4. adding a 4th "primary"color makes NO real difference because the three primaries it already had can be blended to make EVERY color the human eye can see, quattron was and is just a stupid over priced effort to sell more TV's i don't know what is funnier ,people thinking there is actually a difference , or the fact that samsung actually paid millions into R&D to develope the technology.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]under 100k a year household here, we have 1 48 inch plazma, that is dieing, 1 21 inch 1920x1200 and 1 24 inch same resolution smaller one doubles as a tv, a 36 inch 1080p tv, 2 27 inch crts, a 24 inch 1080p. the crts are for old games and tv, as i dont have an hd box, and sd on an hd looks like crap. and as for games, i love lightgun games.
are you mocking him because he has everything he needs and is thinking of waiting till the next real advancement comes?[/citation]

WOWthat'sa lot of tv's dude , LOL i jsut got my 42 inch at the moment , i loaned out my old wide screen SD CRT i used to have well technically it is a ED TV it will pull 480p via component cable if you have one. but point being only got the one 42 1080p LG now.

and yeah i agree with your qeustion about them mocking the other poster. what's up with people knocking this dude , if he is happy with his old tv why do people have to piss in his corn flakes ?

as for SD lookign bad on HD LCD's it all depends on the brand , SD signals running on my LG actually looks pretty damn good to me.

G

10 years from now, people will beg you to take this TV for free on CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.