48hz 4k IPS panel vs 60hz 1080p TN Panel

GoldenSoldier

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
I want to buy the lenovo y50 with FHD screen.But when I searched I found that it was a TN panel with 60hz screen I searched for it and I found that the colours were bad with bad viewing angles so I decided to search for 4k screen I found that it was IPS but with 48hz so my questions is what is the difference between 48 and 60 hz screens ?Is playing on 4k screen on a FHD1080p is the same as playing on a 1080pFHD native screen?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
well, well, well...
the refresh rate is important, because it means how many frames can the monitor handle. thus, if you game way over/below the framerate you get artifacts.
the frame rate is important, because all the input commands are tied to it. thus, if you play at a lower frame rate, your commands will come later and your reflexes will feel sluggish.
not to mention, if you play fast paced games a lot, your reflexes will be heightened and you will feel the difference. the visual image will feel torn and inconsistent.

other than that - if you play slower paced rpgs, work and watch movies - go for the ips, because of the image quality.

GoldenSoldier

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
Thank you all guys.I appreciate your help but I am stuck with a laptop for gaming but it seems that both TN and IPS screens are bad .So I may change my mind and look for a desktop instead because 48 hz is bad and my last laptop was 60hz where I played the last gen games at solid 60fps.Although 60 fps is better than incrasing resolution and graphics I prefer to lower the resolution and graphics and Anti-analising to get more fps .What are the best cpus for budget 1000-1100$?what are the best company for desktops ?Finally is y50 worth it ?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

YES YOU CAN! Anyone can it is really easy. BTW I have the lenovo y50 with the TN panel. I agree it is one of the worst TN panels I have seen. I calibrated the colors and increased the saturation. That helped, but it doesn't compare to my TN panel desktop. I also have the previous generation and I believe I heard they put a better TN panel in the new lenovo y50.