4K TV compatibility with old sony surround sound

Kellyguy

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Hi
I have been trying to find answers to this for hours hopefully you can help

I want to buy a Samsung EU49KU6400
Will I be able to connect my existing Sony DVD home theatre system DAV-DZ500F to it and my Sony DVD Recorder RDR-GXD360 to it and if so what converter cable would I need. They are currently both connected to my TV via scart leads and the surround sound to the sky box with the red and white audio cables.

Solution
Hi, for the money, the Onkyo is superb. I have recently bought this receiver and cannot fault it. You really don't need to worry yourself over the HDMI 2.0a. It is not needed and will work fine with a couple of half decent High speed HDMI cables (preferably the ones with Ethernet) And please don't worry about having to upgrade to 2.0a, you would not have to. Pairing this TV up with the Onkyo TX-SR252 will be a very tidy, good sounding setup. The only other thing you may wish to consider is some new speakers.

Kind regards,
Kenton
You really would be doing your new TV a complete injustice trying to use this system!
You will not be able to pass audio through the Sony A/V from the new TV.

Ideal solution would be an affordable A/V amp, with HDMI inputs and ARC output.

Time for an upgrade unfortunately, as you are at opposite ends of the spectrum regarding how compatible the two units are.

Hope this helps,
K.

Kellyguy

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I was thinking the same thing
It is actually my dad that is buying the TV and he is hard of hearing. He loves the surround sound that he has because he puts a speaker right next to his chair. He also likes to feel like he is in the middle of the battles that he watches. I don't think the neighbours appreciate it when the walls are vibrating though. I will have to try and talk him into upgrading.
Thank you

Oh ok, i fully understand what your situation is. And it must be a great help to your dad to have a louder sound system, especially if he is hard of hearing. Haha, yes, the neighbours must love that! My Grandfather had the same problems, but he never would have understood an A/V system, so he went through TV's after having the volume up so loud!
Good luck with speaking to him about this, but it really is the best option.
I live in the UK, and recently i have managed to buy a really good, cheap Onkyo A/V receiver which is fully HD and ARC (audio return channel) compliant for around £130 (roughly $166 us) So it needn't break the bank.

All the best,
Kenton.

If you just want to get it working you will probably need an optical to analog converter to provide a stereo output for the Sony audio input from the TV optical audio output. Follow the TV manual on how to activate it.
If you pick up a new AV receiver you will not be able to use the old subwoofer since it is powered from the Sony main unit. AV receivers never have amps for passive subs so you would have to add one to the sub or replace it with a self powered one.
The DVD recorder has component video and audio outputs for playback so connect those to the TV. You won't be able to record from the TV itself so you will need to connect the recorder input directly skybox AV outputs.

Kellyguy

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Hi
Thank you for all of your help. I have looked into getting a new receiver and found a post that says you would need a receiver that has HDMI 2.0a but none have been made yet, is that correct?
We are thinking of going for a Onkyo TX-SR252 as it is not too expensive and we could upgrade when the HDMI 2.0a ones come out. Does that sound ok or would you recommend something else ?

Hi, for the money, the Onkyo is superb. I have recently bought this receiver and cannot fault it. You really don't need to worry yourself over the HDMI 2.0a. It is not needed and will work fine with a couple of half decent High speed HDMI cables (preferably the ones with Ethernet) And please don't worry about having to upgrade to 2.0a, you would not have to. Pairing this TV up with the Onkyo TX-SR252 will be a very tidy, good sounding setup. The only other thing you may wish to consider is some new speakers.

Kind regards,
Kenton

Solution