Solved! 4ohm speakers on an 8ohm system

Fatpat111

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I connected 4 Bose 151 Environmental 4ohm speakers to my Yamaha R-S201 8ohm receiver about 2 years ago; I use the system on a covered outdoor deck. Last week the receiver seemed to overheat and now only goes to"standby" when I hit the power button. Did I fry the unit?

Solution
If it's been working for 2 years then the speaker impedance would not have been the problem. When a receiver overheats it's SUPPOSED to shut down before damage and come back on when the temp drops.
Try disconnecting the speakers and then turn the unit on.
If one or more of the speakers is damaged or there is a short in the wiring that would make the receiver go into protection.
If it doesn't come on then the receiver is fried.
If it does then connect one speaker at a time until you find the bad speaker or wire.
If it's been working for 2 years then the speaker impedance would not have been the problem. When a receiver overheats it's SUPPOSED to shut down before damage and come back on when the temp drops.
Try disconnecting the speakers and then turn the unit on.
If one or more of the speakers is damaged or there is a short in the wiring that would make the receiver go into protection.
If it doesn't come on then the receiver is fried.
If it does then connect one speaker at a time until you find the bad speaker or wire.

Solution

Fatpat111

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Fatpat111

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Thank you for the response regarding the 4ohm speaker query. I disconnected the speakers and brought the receiver into the house. When I plug it in and hit the power button the "standby' goes on but nothing else comes up on the display panel. I guess I cooked the goose...