5.1 headsets question

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Quick one for 5.1/7.1 headset users. I'd like to buy Roccat Kave as wife keeps complaining about noise when I play games late, 30 hours left to order for Monday delivery so hopefully someone can help.

I tried some virtual dolby surround demos on my normal stereo headphones and I while it is quite impressive, I can clearly distinguish sounds coming from sides and back, but front just sounds in the middle of my head. While my 5.1 home cinema speakers provide obvious front-middle-rear sound location, I'm not sure if the same happens in the headphones.

Does true surround headset with multiple drivers like that Roccat make things actually appear in front instead of somewhere between the ears?

adityar0210

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Well, since this is a 'true' surround sound headset with 5 speakers and a subwoofer, i assume that the sound will be much better than trying out a demo on regular old stereo headphones. So, in short, yes, the Roccat(expensive, bro) should have much better directional positioning than the stereo ones.

And, to go on, i think that most people would be better off buying virtual surround sound cans, because they have customization options that let you set the direction the sounds come from. But I guess for people who settle for nothing but the best, 'true' SS cans are worth the money.