5 Good WYSIWYG Editors for Coders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I prefer Kate, personally: does SQL, PHP, Javascript, CSS and HTML, with basic syntax checker and code completion.

And it's Free.

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
DreamWeaver and Expression Web are NOT WYSIWYG editors! There is a huge difference between the limited, drag-and-drop programs and EW and DW. Neither EW nor DW were designed to be used in WYSIWYG mode. Their design panes are for reference only, and while you can work in them, the code they generate is good--it's just as sloppy as Kompozer et al.

To ignore the real differences in such a gloss-over does them a disservice. I use both, and I've used DW since its days as a Macromedia product. I prefer EW; it's more user friendly and very flexible. I find I go back to DW less and less.

If you look at the dreck code produced by programs like iWeb and Flux, you'd see that this article is pointless. Wanna put up a site to post family photos? Fine, use Kompozer or CoffeeCup, but if you want something that's cross-browser compatible and looks good under all viewing conditions, you need EW or DW. And you need to learn CSS and HTML.

BTW, EW is only $79 as an upgrade if you have any version of MS Office or some other programs and there's a 60-day free trial, fully functional.

bp 4575

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Oh and the "help" you get with the code, like automatically closing elements when you start a close tag, or suggestions for attributes. It makes HTML coding a whole bunch faster

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Coding is writing programs, not documents and document structures.
WYSIWYG doesn't apply to code.

Replace Coders with Web Devs.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
As said by others already, this is not software development (coding being the layman's word for it) but web design. As an actual software developer (working primarily in C++) I mostly use the Visual Studio IDE. Been doing some light Java stuff recently in Eclipse, but that's minor.

G

I might consider using Dreamweaver if anyone knows how to use a dark theme cause starring at a white screen for hours apon end is a huge strain on the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.