5 Reasons Why IE9 Cannot Stop IE's Decline

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danxo_37

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Windows 7 is Garbage and so is "IE9". Nothing can stop both of those
burning out. Anyone support that OS to see a head doctor.

Daniel J. Tyler

G

If you have IE9 and Google Toolbar:
Open a second tab. Go somewhere. Try and do a search from the bar or click on a button. No response. Go and open Firefox or Chrome. Forget about IE9 for the three years it will take Microsoft to acknowledge the problem and the one day it will take them to fix it in IE11.

G

I have used linux, and windows 7. As far as I am concerned windows 7 is the most versatile os out there. You can even choose which apps get sound or get muted. It's a wonderful thing.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Why is HTML5 such a big deal? It hasn't even been finalized yet!!!! Before deciding whether a "standard" will impact a browser's adoption rate....how about we wait for that "standard" to actually exist first??? HTML5 can't become a "standard" until it is finalized.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Yeah, to be honest, I really don't see why so many people love fire fox. I downloaded it and enjoyed it for a while, but I honestly ran into more compatibility issues than with Chrome or IE. My browser of choice is Chrome, but the latest IE has me impressed. It performs REALLY well. This article seems pretty biased.

harrye

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Why is HTML5 such a big deal? It hasn't even been finalized yet!!!! Before deciding whether a "standard" will impact a browser's adoption rate....how about we wait for that "standard" to actually exist first??? HTML5 can't become a "standard" until it is finalized.[/citation]
If browser developers won't support new HTML features many of these features have no chance to become a standard and will die silently. That is the way how it happened in the past quite often. The whole point is that Microsoft is slow and only staring to themselves and hindering that way progress. And where they fail to innovate they are often litigating. That doesn't create many friends in the web-community. The influence of a company like Microsoft comes with responsibility not only for the shareholder's benefit. But that seems to be a fact many Americans still have to accept. This perspective seems not yet being a part of the American culture but will be decisive for future global success. The learning process to change the underlying paradigms will become a painful experience for many US companies. Remember my words. Google is a great example how it can be done the modern way. Microsoft is spending in one year more R&D money than Google did in a decade. Where is the innovation on the side of Microsoft compared with this cost? Is it IE9? Or Windows 7 what could have been easily an update of WinXP in 2005? Microsoft has to show that they respect their responsibility for the progress in the IT world. The past and current strategy was/is NOT an expression of that.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]yishaika[/nom]If you have IE9 and Google Toolbar:Open a second tab. Go somewhere. Try and do a search from the bar or click on a button. No response. Go and open Firefox or Chrome. Forget about IE9 for the three years it will take Microsoft to acknowledge the problem and the one day it will take them to fix it in IE11.[/citation]

I have no problem doing that at all...it works fine, not sure what your going on about.

Maybe re-read the instructions, page 76: "How to use the internet properly" ?

G

Vell, ve can see zat Wolfgang has gone to the dogs. Wolfgang pucks!

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Last time I looked 80% of the world used IE. If FF didn't crash all the time due to Flash I might actually use it.[/citation]
Jobs would say you're using it wrong. Oh, rather say Adobe is.

[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]You did it again, Wolfgang. Transformed a personal little hate into an alleged fact. Who woke up and named you Nostradamus?We all got the previous message: you don't like Nokia. Now we now you dislike IE9, too. I'm looking forward for tomorrow.[/citation]
I'm with him. Microsoft won't force me upgrading to the latest Windows version because of the browser. I can't remember a major positive change on Office since grammar check so it's clear that OpenOffice will catch up. Now let them screw with PC games a bit more so I'll have a compelling reason to move to Linux at home.

G

Google toolbar and Chrome, like a malignant cancer, is slowly infecting every system out there.
Google is paying some many third parties to bundle chrome with their products that its a full time job to keep all these crapware off our corporate systems. Users never read carefully options on the software they install only click next...next and install. Only resort left is to globally block their publishing certificate cause we cannot block users from installing programs.

G

For all those talking about HTML5 and standards, here's a little info from a web developer who does these things every day. HTML5 is not a "standard" in that it will reach a date when it is released like a software update or patch. It is a description of the way the web should work. To that end, HTML5 will never be in a "finished" state. It is a running document that lists the way the web should operate. Thus, if you wait for the HTML5 "standard" to come out, that will never happen. It was a good decision, IMO, to do it this way. And as to HTML5 "apps"...well, there really isn't any such thing. Any web-based system uses HTML because that's what your browser understands. So referring to an HTML5 "app" doesn't make any sense. The HTML5 standard has been slowly implemented by most modern browsers. It makes development work simpler because it sets forth a standard way of doing things. Microsoft and IE have decided not to follow that standard. IE has hardly implemented any of the HTML5 standard. Thus, IMO, IE9 isn't a modern browser in that sense. It's a piece of junk and most developers simply won't code for it unless that is an absolute requirement, which is quickly become less frequent. So IE9 (and the entire IE line) is going to die off simply because developers are going to stop hacking their code to support IE9's quirks.

And to the commentor talking about HTML5 being re-incarnated Java... not sure where you got your info, but I'm assuming you mean "Javascript" and not Java? B/c Java and HTML5 have NOTHING to do with each other. Pretty much nothing. And HTML5 and Javascript are completely different animals. JS is a client-based OOP programming language and HTML is a tag-based markup language. Not even close to being similar.

And Silverlight the future of apps??? I really can't believe that at all. I see no indication that Silverlight is even a major player in the web-based world. It's proprietary software. Flash tried that and failed with Flex. Requires 3rd-party code that you don't have control over. Is limited in portability. To compare Silverlight to HTML5 really isn't much of a comparison.

The future of web-based software is as it has always been: using a standard-based language family (HTML, JS, server framework such as Ruby on Rails) that works properly across the maximum number of browers. IE only survived b/c Microsoft forced it upon people through the Windows OS. It's not a good browser IMO, although people can like it and that's just fine. It's mostly a preference issue. But from a developer perspective, coding for IE is an absolute nightmare that I almost refuse to do. It's like computers in one sense. Computers haven't changed in nearly 50+ years. Yes, we've gotten faster and stored more data in smaller spaces, but fundamentally a computer hasn't changed. That's how the web will be until some absolutely amazing technology comes along and revolutionizes it. What we have will be improved with more emphasis upon client-based programming and the ability to use your apps w/o direct internet connection through client-side databases. That's really the next big step: giving you the ability to use the "web" without being connected to the internet.

G

"Where I work we actually only support two browsers for our web-based apps: Internet Explorer and Safari, the two browsers that ship with Windows and Mac OS X respectively. The R&D costs for supporting a wide-range of browsers is just too high, especially with the recent budget cuts."

Why? Why not implement and standardize FireFox company wide? Unless of course there are apps that only run on IE.....and certainly Safari won't run those. Ummmm....I don't get it. FF is more standards compliant than IE or Safari. HTML 5, CSS3, all OSs. Really I don't get it. BTW, before I get flamed, I worked for a $400 million company and our IT department required everyone to use FF and we built our extensive intranet around that. In the remote instances where someone needed used IE for that app and nothing else (well in practice anyway).

G

IE9 would not access an email site built on Java. Updating Java was a waste of time. So was calling Microsoft tech support whose solution was uninstalling IE9. IE9 is largely an imitation of Chrome which also doesn't access the Java site.I dislike both. Firefox doesn't waste my time. It just works.

G

I like how you accuse Microsoft of playing certain percentages and stats in their favor.

But then you go on to say that Vista does matter and therefore IE9's market share is limited to Windows 7's share. By manipulating that you just cut out somewhere around 13% of potential IE9 adopters. So while their actual market limit is 37% you state it at 24%.

I realize you clearly have a grudge against IE and I will admit I don't prefer it either. But accusing Microsoft of playing numbers to their benefit (which may be true) and then turning around and doing it yourself in the same article IS WRONG.

js_thind

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Have you heard of Silverlight ? Perhaps not. But let me clue you in. Silverlight
is the future for web apps either in or out of the browser. There are far more
silverlight apps than html 5 apps available ...

If you want to want to compare Silverlight to anything it should be Flash. Silverlight apps are just something you embed into HTML pages. Silverlight is not meant to replace HTML but is instead meant to compete with Adobe Flash.

Simple HTML5 is a reincarnation of Java both of which have limitations....

I don't know where you got that from but you have got it totally mixed up. HTML5 is the latest version of HTML and has nothing to do with Java.

You really need to look up a few things.

harrye

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
[citation][nom]dlegr250[/nom]For all those talking about HTML5 and standards, here's a little info from a web developer who does these things every day. HTML5 is not a "standard" in that it will reach a date when it is released like a software update or patch ...
That is saying Jeff Jaffe, CEO of W3C about the HTML5 standardization process:
"Even as innovation continues, advancing HTML5 to Recommendation provides the entire Web ecosystem with a stable, tested, interoperable standard. The decision to schedule the HTML5 Last Call for May 2011 was an important step in setting industry expectations. Today we take the next step, announcing 2014 as the target for Recommendation."
I understand that as a fixed date where HTML5 can be considered as a standard. That gives Microsoft some time to get things right - hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.