5 Surround Sound Headsets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
waxdart, what you're talking about has nothing to do with headphones and everything to do with game development. No wonder we're not communicating properly. While I absolutely agree with you that sound in videogames, that triumphant on only the rarest of occasions and even then is still not great, ambient noise is perhaps the hardest thing to do in a virtual world. Having spoken with developers about this in the past, I can safely say that many don't want to touch the subject because of how complex it becomes.

I remember a few years back a discussion on water effects. Water, seemingly easy to program, is nearly impossible to do realistically. And the more realistic it becomes, the more stress it puts on the machine, not by multiples, but by magnitudes. Sound poses not only a similar problem in processing power, but of physical sound. Having thousands of sounds for one specific scene when there are hundreds of scenes, even if some are used several times over, is realistically impossible. No development studio would have the time, resources or budget to do it in the standard development cycle.

My personal opinion on how to make the best sound is to literally recreate real-world physics and give all objects in the world their true properties: a tree in-game will have the actual proportions to a real tree. Same density, same weight, same thickness...etc. Then, when an object (which has similarly true proportions) touches or hits it, the physics will calculate the actual sound, thereby reproducing it and not requiring any recording.

As for holographic effects and other 3D sound technologies, some work and some don't. The point of surround is to better spatially orient gamers in the game. It's not so much about immersion as you seem to be pointing out, but about making sure players can perform actions more accurately, be it listen for gunfire, aim at enemies or just turning the camera wildly while someone talks to you to hear the sound come from all directions.

And yes, for gamers even with nearly unlimited budgets, sound systems go up to millions of dollars. Thousands will get you, if you're lucky, a semi-professional set of 2.1 speakers, nothing more.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
waxdart, of all the places to rant about the state of audio realism in 3d games, why did you pick here? Why not write a letter to a developer where it might do some good?

a durrrrr...

spadak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
What about Roccat Kave headphones ? Lots of reviews says they are superior to G35. Did you have chance to include them into review ?
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave/

spadak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
What about Roccat Kave headphones ? Lots of reviews says they are superior to G35. Did you have chance to include them into review ?
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave/

digitalgamer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I recently purchased a set of Psyko 5.1 headphones based on your review and the the fact that they dropped significantly in price over the holidays. Wow, these things are terrible. I wish I had read the review at HardOCP instead.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/11/psyko_51_pc_gaming_headset_review/
It exactly reflects my experience with the headphones. I will be returning my headset and continuing my search for a decent set of surround sound headphones.

ctguy1955

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Ive been reading about headphone sets and I would appreciate a little help if you are able.

Ive gone to Best Buy and tried out the turtle beach, and I could not hear the 5.1 surround on their setup, may have been broken. I have a PC with a 7.1 card ( Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer )

I did not know that the logitech usb set Im using now cut out my soundcard, and I would have gone with the G35, had I not read this report.

I would like to hear people walking behind me, but Ive been told the BF3 makers did not
include those sounds in the game anyway. The difference between 5.1 and 7.1 in a
headset cant be that much ????? I just dont know much about 40 or 50 mm drivers and dont care for low end sounds as much as mid and highs.

I have a pair of 100 dollar Ultrasone S-Logic HFI-450 earphones that I use when Im recording music on my MacMini plugged into a presonus firestudio mobile, but ive never tried them plugged into the back of the computer directly into the sound card 1/8" jack My 7.1 speaker system has a jack port for headset on the volume switch ( Creative Labs T7700 )
and so does that work as well as direct into sound card ???

I appreciate any help with this, I know that sound is subjective, but anyone who plays BF3 and has tried different headsets will know the difference about what is good or great for sound.

Thanks for your help !!!!!!

ocean1955@sbcglobal.net to email me answer and just put HEADSET in the title please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS