Solved! ~500-750$ laptop

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I need a decent budget laptop for general editing and such. It doesn't need dedicated graphics or anything like that (although integrated radeon or nvidia graphics would be great) because it's not going to be used as anything more than a laptop I can bring to school, type papers, edit pictures and maybe produce videos. Resolution doesn't matter, but it can't be a notebook and I'm looking for a processor such as a core dual or athlon turian.

This was the main laptop I was looking for, but newegg allows OS upgrades or would I need to get it directly from Lenovo?

~ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146611
(Preinstalled Windows XP PRO with option for Windows 7 PRO(Hopefully 64-bit))

Solution
NewEgg will not make changes to laptops or PCs they offer for sale. You could go directly to the Lenovo website to get an updated Win7 equipped laptop directly from them.

For $700 take a look at the (1558).
Review of Dell Studio 15 (has the optional video card installed which you would not need)
There is a list of similar laptops which you can browse through for more reviews.

NewEgg will not make changes to laptops or PCs they offer for sale. You could go directly to the Lenovo website to get an updated Win7 equipped laptop directly from them.

For $700 take a look at the (1558).
Review of Dell Studio 15 (has the optional video card installed which you would not need)
There is a list of similar laptops which you can browse through for more reviews.

Solution
G

I am selling a HP Pavilion dv6 for $600, its worth $860. I can send you pictures, and info if you email me (jamison.kellor@gmail.com)

here is some of the basics.

# VISION Technology Ultimate from AMD with AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile processor M620
2.50 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache
# 4GB RAM
# 6 GB DDR2 system memory
# 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
# LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+R/RW with Double Layer support
# Wired Ethernet; Wireless WiFi
# 15.6" diagonal HD LED HP BrightView Widescreen Display
1366 x 768 resolution; up to 2815MB total available graphics memory with 1024MB dedicated
# Webcam
# 5-in-1 digital media reader
# 4 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x headphone out, 1 x microphone-in, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x VGA, 1 x eSATA + USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45, 1 notebook expansion port 3, 1 x IEEE 1394 FireWire port, 1 x Consumer IR
# 6-cell lithium-ion battery
# AC power supply

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should also check out the Dell Studio XPS 16. It is a bit more expensive but it has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics and runs Windows 7 Home Premium so you won't have to upgrade. Check out photos and full specs here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=3daa90a3-1897-de11-968c-02bf9d3bf32a.

What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

tumello

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I also like the Dell 15 for your budget. I'm currently researching for something in your same range for my sister-in-law and that dell seems like good bang for the buck.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi Tumello,

If you are looking to compare the specs of two laptops you should check out a tool called PC Scout. You can see the differences side by side. I think it will help you make a decision. With PC Scout, you can also search laptop options by price range. Check it out here:http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

TRENDING THREADS